How to reduce photo size to use on a web site?

stlucia 17:49 26 Dec 06

A few years ago when I set up a web site I reduced the size of the photos I wanted to use on it to about 50kb or less.

I've now want to update the site with a whole bunch of new photos, but can't remember how I reduced the sizes. They're in jpeg format, and I thought that last time I was able to select what size they would compress to, and I thought the software I was using was Irfanview.

But looking through the menus in Irfanview now I only see Resize/Resample which offers me some different pixel sizes plus "Half" and "Double". Trying those I get a visible deterioration in quality, which I didn't notice (on screen) the previous time.

So, any suggestions about the best way to get small-file-size web-quality photos please? The only graphics software I've got on my PC is Irfanview and MSPaint.

skidzy 17:55 26 Dec 06
  skidzy 17:57 26 Dec 06
  James. 19:00 26 Dec 06

If skidzy's link don't suit I find PixResizer from click here very user friendly, it does single or batch resizes and best of all of course is it's free.

stlucia 19:14 26 Dec 06

Thanks for all the links. I'm having a bit of trouble installing Windows Image Resizer so, if I can't fathom that, I'll try PIXresizer.

missjosy 19:29 26 Dec 06

Try this.
.click here

stlucia 08:31 27 Dec 06

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried them all now, and they all seem to give the same functionality as Irfanview (i.e. % reduction, but no "reduce to a given file size" function). Since I already use Irfanview, I'll stick with that and use % to get suitable file sizes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac