How to recover files from PC which will not boot?

itw2 10:18 04 Aug 05

The pc gets halfway through loading windows(icons on desktop and loading toolbar icons)when the dreaded blue screen appears.I have tried most of the standard microsoft analyses(it does boot into safe mode)but nothing works. I am thinking I may need to reload the operating system(win 98)but I have a number of critical files which I do not want to lose. Any ideas how I can recover these files and/or load the operation system on in a way that enables me to read all original files. All ideas gratefully received. Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 10:21 04 Aug 05

InsWin98 over itself should not cause you to lose files.

Do you have access to another PC? If so, you can take the disk from this one and put it into the other as slave.

If you have another hard disk, install it as master, this one as slave, and reinstall windows.

What have you tried so far to find a remedy?

itw2 14:02 04 Aug 05

Thanks. I had thought of using the HD as a slave. I would sooner try to get the original PC up and running.In relation to installing 98 over itself the only way I can do that is to use the start-up disk and install via dos. will the pc recognise that I am loading a version of windows on top of the last if I have not done so when the original windows is running?

woodchip 14:07 04 Aug 05

Try this, start computer and keep pressing F8 as it starts, from list choose command prompt. At C:\> type so it looks like this.

C:\>CD Windows\Command press enter, it should look like this

C:\Windows\Command> now type SCANNREG /RESTORE press enter. please note spaces in the above paths

choose from list the last time Date that the computer started up, using Arrow and enter key.

now try a reboot

anchor 14:12 04 Aug 05

I recall that on a number of occasions I did an "over the top" installation of both Win 98 and Win ME from Dos. You should not have any problem, and will not lose any of your important files.

It will probably ask if you wish to install windows into C:\windows, or an alternative folder. Choose the normal C:\windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…