How to Recover Files from a laptop with a broken screen?

SASB3LL 21 Sep 12

Hi Everyone,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 which i have recently cracked the screen so i cant get a display. I have bought a new laptop instead of screen replacement because they no longer make the screen for my laptop but i need to recover some files from it. I have tried running it through a TV but couldn't get a display so i am now at an impasse not wanting to pay extortionate fees for a HDD Recovery service. I have thought about purchasing a adapter to plug the old HDD into in order to open it in my new laptop but i want to be certain this will work if it is even possible?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated :) Dom

lotvic 21 Sep 12

adapter to plug the old HDD into in order to open it in my new laptop but i want to be certain this will work if it is even possible

Yes, that's the way to do it. If you buy a caddy to put it in, then you can make the old Harddrive into a very useful External Harddrive.

woodchip 21 Sep 12

Just get a 2.5ins USB Caddy that supports the drive Sata or IDE. Then plug it into new laptop and get at your files

lotvic 21 Sep 12

I'm surprised you didn't get display on TV, did you press the correct keyboard buttons for the external display function?

SASB3LL 21 Sep 12

Thanks, wheres best to buy the adapter from please?

and i did press the right buttons yeah i was surprised i didn't get a display too but not to worry i will just purchase an adapter :)

lotvic 21 Sep 12

I got a cheapy adaptor cable (not caddy) like this one through Amazon ClickHere I got it yonks ago, can't remember which supplier. You might only be wanting a cable ClickHere (or you might decide about a caddy)

rdave13 21 Sep 12

I'd also check your connections on the new laptop as some have e-sata or USB 3 ports on them. Then think of getting an enclosure with the same connection, as your transfer rates will be much higher than USB 2.

Nontek 21 Sep 12

I have the same adapter as mentioned by lotvic, in his first link - it is an excellent piece of kit and will certainly enable you to accomplish transferring your data.

chub_tor 21 Sep 12

I use this one from ebuyer it does the job OK and comes with a cable. I looked for a USB3 caddy but didn't some across one. Your drive is a 2.5" SATA accoding to the Dell spec.

Strawballs 23 Sep 12

I recently bought a Sata caddy (enclosure) off Amazon for £2:99

Strawballs 23 Sep 12
Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Wimbledon 2015 live online: follow the tennis from your laptop or PC

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

HTC's head designer on what's exciting in designing for mobile right now

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message