How to Recover Files from a laptop with a broken screen?

SASB3LL 13:37 PM 21 Sep 12

Hi Everyone,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 which i have recently cracked the screen so i cant get a display. I have bought a new laptop instead of screen replacement because they no longer make the screen for my laptop but i need to recover some files from it. I have tried running it through a TV but couldn't get a display so i am now at an impasse not wanting to pay extortionate fees for a HDD Recovery service. I have thought about purchasing a adapter to plug the old HDD into in order to open it in my new laptop but i want to be certain this will work if it is even possible?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated :) Dom

lotvic 13:52 PM 21 Sep 12

adapter to plug the old HDD into in order to open it in my new laptop but i want to be certain this will work if it is even possible

Yes, that's the way to do it. If you buy a caddy to put it in, then you can make the old Harddrive into a very useful External Harddrive.

woodchip 13:55 PM 21 Sep 12

Just get a 2.5ins USB Caddy that supports the drive Sata or IDE. Then plug it into new laptop and get at your files

lotvic 13:55 PM 21 Sep 12

I'm surprised you didn't get display on TV, did you press the correct keyboard buttons for the external display function?

SASB3LL 13:58 PM 21 Sep 12

Thanks, wheres best to buy the adapter from please?

and i did press the right buttons yeah i was surprised i didn't get a display too but not to worry i will just purchase an adapter :)

lotvic 14:18 PM 21 Sep 12

I got a cheapy adaptor cable (not caddy) like this one through Amazon ClickHere I got it yonks ago, can't remember which supplier. You might only be wanting a cable ClickHere (or you might decide about a caddy)

rdave13 15:07 PM 21 Sep 12

I'd also check your connections on the new laptop as some have e-sata or USB 3 ports on them. Then think of getting an enclosure with the same connection, as your transfer rates will be much higher than USB 2.

Nontek 15:19 PM 21 Sep 12

I have the same adapter as mentioned by lotvic, in his first link - it is an excellent piece of kit and will certainly enable you to accomplish transferring your data.

chub_tor 15:26 PM 21 Sep 12

I use this one from ebuyer it does the job OK and comes with a cable. I looked for a USB3 caddy but didn't some across one. Your drive is a 2.5" SATA accoding to the Dell spec.

Strawballs 15:56 PM 23 Sep 12

I recently bought a Sata caddy (enclosure) off Amazon for £2:99

Strawballs 15:58 PM 23 Sep 12

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11