How to recognise a Virus

woodchip 21:17 05 Sep 03

Protecting yourself against viruses - how to recognise them
There are a few basic rules that you can follow to avoid infecting your PC with a virus. In particular avoid opening emails with attachments from people that you do not know or emailed attachments that you are not expecting.

There are five main attachment file types that you should not open from your email in any circumstances as these may be executed on your PC and may possibly cause data loss.

You should avoid files of the following types:

.com
.exe
.vbs
.pif
.scr

Sometimes you may receive documents that appear to be a valid document type; for example a word document. However you should check that the document is indeed a word document by looking at the last three characters in the filename. For example:

ThisDocument.doc
ThisDocument.doc.vbs

In all cases, the group of letters after the last . in the filename are the letters that determine what kind of data the file holds. In this instance the second file could, if opened, run a series of commands affecting your PC. This is a good illustration of why you should carefully check the filenames of files you have been sent and is a common way for viruses to infect PCs.
click here

VoG II 21:19 05 Sep 03

Good post woodchip.

jimv7 21:19 05 Sep 03

And more important...keep your anti-virus software up-to-date.

jimv7 21:21 05 Sep 03

should have added,

Any anti-virus is only as good as the last update.

woodchip 21:24 05 Sep 03

That only applies if you software needs them

woodchip 21:24 05 Sep 03

99.9% do need them Mine does not

mammak 21:41 05 Sep 03

woodchip as always a good post, and lead me to your AV, as mines is not as it should be , after this "blaster" and "sobig" Mammak

woodchip 21:49 05 Sep 03

It's an old Virus protection that is not even supported now but Legolas and another installed it on my reco. Its Achilles Shield click here
I have never had a virus while using it in about 6 or 7 years

woodchip 21:50 05 Sep 03

I do not use any other only the above

alcudia 22:16 05 Sep 03

How about this then. I was reading today in a PC mag a letter from a PC engineer who stated that someone had brought in a PC for repair because it was unstable, When scanned the results revealed 28,628 different viruses. I'm not joking. Must be a record. I'm surprised it ran at all. If it's true.

woodchip 22:26 05 Sep 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…