How to read startup screens?

polymath 19:38 03 Jun 03

The ones that appear before Windows loads. No problem, just curiosity - I keep trying to read them! They disappear too quickly. Is there a way to get them page by page, and/or print them out? (I do have a parallel printer installation I can set to, as I use a Dos app sometimes). Commands from an older Dos version don't seem to work.

Djohn 19:43 03 Jun 03

Yes, use the "Pause" key, it's the one just to the left of you "Num Lock" key. It will enable you to read one page at a time. j

spikeychris 19:43 03 Jun 03

Hit Pause/break then print screen. Open paint and hit paste.

Chris

polymath 21:49 03 Jun 03

Thanks both. I tried it, but haven't quite got it right yet.
The Pause key did keep a screenful there to read, but wasn't sure how to let it resume, and pressed Pause 2 or 3 times (Is it a toggle?). Things then resumed, but landed in the dialogue screen offering Safe Mode etc. I selected Normal, but it hung once the Desktop background appeared. A reset then got a normal startup.
I'd pressed PrintScreen when things paused, but didn't know where to fetch the image from, and the clipboard was empty.

Have to go now till tomorrow evening, but will experiment again tomorrow.

canard 22:00 03 Jun 03

The screen print is on clipboard and to find it open your viewer [Irfan, paintshop whatever you normally use] click edit on the top bar and then paste on the drop down menu. The scrnprnt should then appear.

Pesala 22:50 03 Jun 03

How come. It didn't work for me either.

Switch on the printer. Reboot the PC, press pause when the screen you want comes up. Press print screen to print it. I think that should work. I will try it myself, and test the paste from clipboard again, but I don't think the Windows clipboard is available until Windows had loaded. However, you never know everything.

Pesala 22:58 03 Jun 03

Dispensed with the pause key, but just pressed Print Screen a couple of times after the initial Windows screen disappeared. I got a printout of my drive information and PCI device listing.

As I guessed, nothing in the clipboard when Windows finished booting.

polymath 21:09 17 Jun 03

Thanks Pesala, but I tried a simple Printscreen without success (having first made the parallel printer install I use for Dos the default before restarting. And then trying again with the printer switched on!)

I might as well tick this as resolved, though, as it doesn't look as if I'm goung to be able to do it with my system (Win 98SE, but I don't know if the version matters).

Anyway, as far as I can see from the subliminally fast screenfuls of text, I haven't noticed much that I can't see by going into the Bios, or looking at Config.sys & Autoexec.bat.

Thanks, all, for your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…