How to read MS Works document?

stlucia 08:22 22 Oct 09

A friend has sent me a couple of .wps documents which he says are created in MS Works word processor. I've tried opening them using MS Word Viewer (I don't have Word on my PC), but all I get is a load of random characters.

A Google search tells me that the word processor in MS Works is MS Word, so why can't MS Word Viewer open it properly?

More importantly, can anyone recommend a free download that will open the MS Works files properly, please?

Technotiger 08:37 22 Oct 09
  stlucia 08:53 22 Oct 09

Been there, Technotiger, but it requires you to have either MS Works or MS Word on your PC, which I don't.

I normally use Adobe Pagemaker for my word processing, but I've also got MS Word Viewer so I can read Word files that people send me. But it won't open the MS Works word files.

bjh 09:09 22 Oct 09

The word processor in MS WorksSuite is actually MS Word. The "lower" spec MS Works Wordprocessor comes with MS Works (and is also a part of MS Works Suite, but no icon is installed for the lower WP, just for Word.

MS Works Wordprocessor can save as RTF, which any wp can read - can you get your friend to rsend the document in this format?

Woolwell 09:09 22 Oct 09

MS Works file is not a doc file which is Word's file extension (or a docx). It is a cutdown version of Word in Works.
I don't know if Open Office will open it.

Woolwell 09:10 22 Oct 09

rtf is the best way.

BRYNIT 10:07 22 Oct 09

MS Word viewer should be able to open WPS files click here in Word viewer you may have to select the file type. Why not ask your friend to re send the file as a txt file.

stlucia 11:01 22 Oct 09

My friend is not computer literate, so even doing a "save as different file type" is a challenge for him!

Looking at the MS Word Viewer web site, it says that it can read .wps files. But I've just updated mine to the latest version, and I still can't for the life of me see how to do it. When I ask it to open the file, I have options to view "All files", "Word documents", "All Word documents" (what's the difference?), "XML files", "All web pages", and "Document templates"; but that only determines what files I can view in the file list, and when I open the file in question I see jibberish and get options to select "other coding", but that seems to refer to different national languages.

I need to attach the documents to the minutes of a meeting I'm writing, and I've got hard copies which need small corrections. So the quickest, simplest, way of doing that seems to be Tippex and then scan the amended document into my PC :-o

crosstrainer 11:08 22 Oct 09

You may need a bolt on viewer:

click here

Can't vouch for this myself, but may work.

stlucia 11:36 22 Oct 09

Nope, I've just installed it, and I'm afraid alfasoft View doesn't work for the files in question.

crosstrainer 11:37 22 Oct 09

Looks like you only have 2 options here:

1) Try and take your friend through the "Save As" process.

2) Buy a copy of Works:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5