How to raise 'turn off' temp on my PC

Viv-208691 19:45 17 Jan 05

Hi there, my PC shuts down automatically whenever it hits 45 degrees C. My friend tells me this is quite a low figure for the PC to but cutting out at. Ok, a few questions.

1. Should I raise the temp, if so, what to? And do I do it in the BIOS??

2. If I do do it through the BIOS I have a problem because my keyboard doest kick in straight away and hitting delete has no response!!

3. If 2 cant be solved can I enter BIOS through Windows??

Thanks, running XP Home on 1 1/2 year old PC.

(I have previously posted on this sucject,click here= , I dont think its neccessary for you to read it - 39 posts).

PA28 19:55 17 Jan 05

Do you have a USB keyboard - if so borrow a PS2 as your answers lie in the BIOS. I have my temp set to 65 degrees.

Viv-208691 20:02 17 Jan 05

Yeh it is a USB keyboard. OK, do you recommend me setting my PC to that kind of temp? Can I definately set it using the BIOS?
Is there no way into BIOS through WIndows?

Viv-208691 22:24 17 Jan 05

Ok, Ive got into the BIOS. Is it the 'THRM CPU throttling' that I want to alter? It is currently on 62.5% whatever that means? Do i want to crank it up a notch?

Please assist, thankyou.

Chezdez 22:35 17 Jan 05

yeah, 45 is awfully low

unless your referring to the motherboard temperature??? in which case, LEAVE IT!!!

if it is your processor, then you should be quite OK going up to 65-70 degrees, mines set at 72 degrees (factory settings), on an asus a7v8x-x motherboard

what motherboard is it? i'm sure more people will be able to help out if they know that

or even the make of the PC

Viv-208691 23:17 17 Jan 05

When the CPU hit 45 degrees C the PC turned itself off. That was with the THRM CPU throttle at 62.5%. Is that the setting I need to change? I have 2 higher percentages to select from, which do i chose?

The motherboard is an ABIT IT7.

Thanks for your help, a little more would be greatly appreciated.

Viv-208691 23:39 17 Jan 05

??? Is that what I change? Does that seem right???

Viv-208691 00:19 18 Jan 05

Can someone please help? Im desperate to get this problem fixed.

Dorsai 07:54 18 Jan 05

click here for the manual for an IT7, in PDF from abit.

Page 49 deals with the health monitoring setup for the bios.

I can find no referance in the doc to THRM CPU Throttle though.

Are you sure you mobo is an IT7, and not an IT7-max or IT7-MAX V2.0

For the manual for the the MAX versions of the mobo, click here

keith-236785 10:46 18 Jan 05

the maximum (not the advised) temp af an AMD ATHLON cpu is 93° my proc runs about 32° though it rises to about 40 or42 on a warm day (or when the wife has the central heating on full) at the moment it is 31°

i dont know what my shutdown or warning setting is because it has never reached it.

when i disconnect the case fans the temp goes up to about the 50° mark but still stays stable.

i would set your max temp to abot 55 or 60° if it is an AMD proc

check on the AMD website or the INTEL website for the max and reccomended temps. then set your accordingly. (dont go up too much in one go though, nice and easy does it)

good luck

Viv-208691 15:46 18 Jan 05

Dorsai, there is reference to the 'THRM CPU throttling' in that first PDF manual.

Yes, it is definately the standard IT7.

Excuse my ignorance, but is increasing the THRM CPU throttling the same as increasing the cut out temp?

Thanks to both of you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…