How to put updates onto cd disk & load into progr?

bof:) 14:40 01 Aug 07

Hi all, I'm off to a friends tonight to checkout his pc for him. The problem is that he cannot connect to the internet.

He has checked all leads to BT adsl modem and all seems ok. Rebooting modem has not worked, he has contacted BT to check the account is active and it is.

He says he has scanned his laptop with AVG free virus scanner and it has 'given him a message'. Unfortunately he is unable to scan his laptop again until I visit tonight.

So, what I thought was,could I download updates for AVG:Ad aware:Spyware Blaster:Spybot S&D, etc onto a cd disc and load them onto his laptop directly from it?

I'm also thinking of downloading AVG spyware program, plusSuperAnti Spyware (+ its updates) and Ccleaner + updates onto same cd disk.

Once copied to disk how do you copy updates across to the program you want them to go to? I assume that just clicking on 'check for updates' will not work due to not having an internet connection.

Also I'm taking my laptop with me, which is set up to use Virgin BB. If I plug friends modem into my laptop should XPhome detect it and be able to use it or do I have to load BT settings into my laptop?

(The idea behind this is that once I've run friends AVG antivirus checker and found virus message, I'll be able to search for a fix with my laptop...download it and use it on friends laptop).

Thankyou

Mike

Sorry for being so long-winded :-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:34 01 Aug 07

click here

Antivirus programs that can be installed to and run from a USB pen drive.

bof:) 17:11 01 Aug 07

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\, Thanks for the link I've copied all to a usb pen except the Dr Web Cure It program, for some reason the 'save it' option is greyed out on the save to usb download page.

Am I right in thinking that if I use a usb pen then there is a risk of any virus on my friends pc finding its way onto the said pen?

This is why I copy everything I think I may need to a closed cd disc so nothing nasty can find its way onto the disk (am I right in this)

Its my attempt at making a 'Clean up and Diagnostic disk'. Hence thats another reason why I'd like to know how to get the updates for AV program etc copied to a cd disc and onto a pc I'm trying to help with.

Many thanks again for the link, I've bookmarked it.

Mike

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:33 01 Aug 07

is a risk of any virus on my friends pc finding its way onto the said pen?

Posible but unlikely a you will not be writing to the pen drive on his PC just running the programs from the pen drive

Don't just copy the download install file to the pen drive , you nee to instll the programs on the pen drive update the virus/ spyware signatures and then take the drive to his pc and run the programs on the pen drive.

bof:) 16:06 02 Aug 07

Thanks for that Fruit Bat /\0/\, I'd just copied the .exe files across. I'll install them and get updates as you said.

Mike

mucka68 16:01 25 Feb 08

hi guys i have lost my copy of microsoft office profesional on disc and i was wondering if there was any way of copying the program off my laptop to disc so i can reinstall it to my pc.

Sea Urchin 16:36 25 Feb 08

There seems little point in hijacking someone else's thread, particularly when you have already had a reply on your own thread asking the same question.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017