how to protect my computer

xperian 23:32 03 Jan 09

I have only got one dlink adaptor from dlink router to connect to my telly by desktop ... its wireless - i tho it was protected but its not .. my sister bf came over with his laptop and he was able to link it up with mine wireless network .. he said i havent protected it at all ..

how do i protect it as i didnt realised some other neighbours might be looking at it .. help! i dont understand what i have to do next ..

MCE2K5 02:06 04 Jan 09

Didn't the answer on this click here help.

xperian 10:20 04 Jan 09

Hey it is two completely different forum .. am i ential to use different forum for people's different ideas????

I mean i dont really understand what the website is saying .. sorry completely clueless - hence me asking on this forum. The website said dot but it didnt say before or after. I will ask on the previous forum. ok?

I'm sure more people will almost have different ideas??

Xperian

xperian 10:50 04 Jan 09

Just tried the information which was given to me - doesnt work. IP address browser says page not connected.

bobbybowls 14:32 04 Jan 09

ok lets start from scratch

stick a pin in the small hole on the back of your router for 10 seconds or so to reset it back to factory defaults

open your web browser and type in 192.168.1.1

when it asks for user name and password type admin for both

on the setup page click on the tab at the top that says Setup. Now once you are in the setup screen you can click on the tab on the left hand side that says Wireless. Now on your wireless page look for Security

you will see a little circle after WPA click on it with your mouse and a dot will appear inside it. Now on the same screen put a dot on PSK (Pre-Shared Key) String. After selecting the PSK (Pre-Shared Key) String you will see an empty box next to it. Inside the box you can put the password that you want to use to secure the network.

use a long password of at least 8 characters, and a mix of upper case,lower case and numbers. do not use actual words.

then click on apply.

when you want to connect by wireless use the password you have just made up.

write the password down and keep in a safe place.

xperian 19:25 04 Jan 09

Thank you so much for this i totally appreciated it.

I had been playing about today from the dlink website and i made a mistake in entering something and trying to undo it! and now the adaptor didnt link up to the network as it couldn't find the network and was asking me for the network security key or passphrase key so i assume once i done this - it should be ok after all???

xperian 19:31 04 Jan 09

My old man (father) wont let me reset as he is worried it might upset the other computer which is not link up to the wireless and just manually - it was just for one computer downside rather having the lead all the way down from upstair.

Is he right that it will upset the whole system and network on what we got?

bobbybowls 21:35 04 Jan 09

ok didn't now there was another pc. log in to the router from the other pc, instead of resetting. if you can't change the wireless settings, write down or print out all the routers settings. then reset the router.

p.s. the 192.168.1.1 is not a web site, but the routers own internal configuration.

xperian 11:14 05 Jan 09

I will give it a go thank you but i uninstall the driver for adaptor and now its not recognising the software - when i go in network it doesnt show up and says it cannot find dlink

oh dear!

xperian 12:48 05 Jan 09

guys

i reinstall the adaptor again after so much trouble with it hurray

i tried to connect to network but nothing is coming up

its says poor low network connection from the router .. its was fine before

connect to network has other names on it which i assume it is the neighbours ..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac