How to password protect downloadable pdf files?

hans100 08:57 14 Jul 06

I believe there should be an ez solution but as a novice I have not succeeded in locating the correct software that specializes in the needed requirement.
Im using the ACTUAL DRAWING software to build the webpages and the Coffee cup Ftp program.
Here's where I am:My hosting account is with godaddy.com where I have ample webspace and bandwidth. I intend to sell passwords via a online auction site to enable downloads of PDF files from my website.
So the visitor can either link from my site to auction site to purchase access codes or vica versa.
On the website the visitors can click on buttons to navigate to the various section pages where the lists of the respective ebook and pdf files of that section are listed.

Some are free downloads where no password is required to download those files but others would require a password to allow that file download. Thus, I imagine that a password entry form to pop up when a file name is clicked.
Once a acceptable password code is entered then the download could proceed. I intend to allocate a value for each file of which the passwords represent a certain value IOW A normal password would have a value of 12 with files ranging from 1 to 3 in value .
In that event I would require the program to be able to appropiate the ongoing value used on respective codes until it is exhausted thus anybody can use that code.
Presently, I have most downloadable files stored in designated folders on my webspace. I will link the listed file name to that file in respective folder. So right now I am busy with that time consuming process but its the password accessability and the dynamic storage of that information where I require advice !
I specifically would appreciate any suggestions on which software would complete this requirement and or what script to utilize that could provide sufficient security to prevent illegal entry.

I should also have a visitor/member registration -access but at this point that is 2nd in priority but suggestions welcome.Is this where the MYSQL & accessDSN are utilized? They presently reside in my hosting control box!
I look forward to any helpfull suggestions so THX a TON

hans100 22:57 14 Jul 06

Thx for suggestion, in fact it is co-incidental that I had downloaded encryption and password protection software to do just that coz the permutations of all the what to a novice is just "letter-clutter" has left me wondering why some sort of standardized but fully secure method that the average person with enough to get along html knowledge has not been accepted and focused on by the industry. Just for starters I see I have webspace on a shared virtual server using windows 2003(why 3yrs behind?)but see for same price could be on a dedicated server with LINUX and a list of more letterclutter. So ask me if Im confused then I just wonder where this digital virtual world is heading?

Is it aiming towards efficiency, multi tasking ability and along with improved layman ease of understanding & application or is this a digital paranoia focused on 4 dimensional ultra insecurity that is been exploited by a small % of GeekyHacks?

So,I must first try and choose where what and how this clutter is going to assist me? ASP's PHP's MSSQL's MYSQL'S APACHE's PERL's PYTHON's JSP CGI CSS's DNN's DSN's etc etc. Well what can I say.. Shit happens!!
Oh yes-About the PDF password encryption. I also found a widely available program called PDF Password Remover v 2.5. It simply stripped all security/encryption of a bunch of about 50 different pdf files in less than 30 seconds!Any links to some really potent PDF encryption program will be welcomed! This technology wirlwind is going out of shape!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5