how to partition the primary HD

Diemmess 15:39 02 Mar 15
Answered

Desk top almost new. It has Win 7 loaded

I have a copy of Partition Magic used back since '98 days

At present the main unpartitioned HD has ample space, but I'm keen to load all sorts of treasures and hope someone will tell me if I am heading for a dramatic crash

northumbria61 15:48 02 Mar 15

Take a read of How to Partition Your HDD in Windows 7

Partition Magic will do it for you and you can download the latest version from HERE with plenty of information.

bumpkin 16:18 02 Mar 15

I have a copy of Partition Magic used back since '98 days

Time to update it then, the latest version is excellent and should do exactly what you want.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:02 02 Mar 15

Desk top almost new. It has Win 7 loaded

he main unpartitioned HD has ample space

assume windows 7 is loaded on a SSD? and the second drive is a standard HDD.

Why do you want to partition? normally partition is to sepaarte op system from data in case of system failure and re installing.

Diemmess 10:49 03 Mar 15

Fruit Bat /\0/\

"normally partition is to separate op system from data in case of system failure and re installing."

That is exactly why I want to partition the new disk which is one of those that still whiz round internally, not an SSD.

In the past and it's my intention with this one, in addition to regular backups, I also occasionally back up to an extra HD in case of total loss of the function of the primary drive.

Partition saves the vital primary drive, is relatively small, and so takes less time to Backup.

bumpkin 14:17 03 Mar 15

If it is new I am surprised it does not have SSD. For what they cost, about £40 for a 120GB which would do for your O/S and give you plenty of spare room you will be very surprised at the difference in speed for booting or backing up and many other things. I only fitted one myself about 2 weeks back and was quite amazed, as you have a new machine it would probably be the best single upgrade that you could do.

Verki 02:28 04 Mar 15

actually, in order to partition hard drive in Windows, you can use disk management in windows 7. but if you want to extend partition with disk management, there must be unallocated space contiguous behind to the partition you plan to extend, otherwise, the extend volume will gray out and you aren't allowed to extend partition.in this situation, you can use AOMEI Partition Assistant to partition hard drive windows 7 easily. more detail click here

Diemmess 17:38 04 Mar 15
Answer

OK

Some joined-up thinking and I've ordered a small SSD This will be drive C: the original will become Drive D:

I'm a bit out of touch, but thank you

bumpkin 18:08 04 Mar 15

The best thing to do in my opinion and you won't regret it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…