//some 3rd party need geo

How to optimize 56k modem dial up internet

drpete 17:01 23 Sep 03

How can you ensure you get the fastest most reliable connection to the internet when you are not a technical expert on pc dial-up configuration

Jester2K II 17:11 23 Sep 03

Short answer. You can't.

Your Internet connection quality consists of lots of factors and your PC settings is a small part of that.

You can try Cybertweak click here but it nor i can guarantee anything.

Djohn 17:13 23 Sep 03

click here This page may help, but I have never tried any of them. j.

woodchip 17:35 23 Sep 03

If you are on Win98 the settings that it uses is the best other than the init string that goes in the extra settings box in the modem settings

Stuartli 20:01 23 Sep 03

Dial 17070 on your BT phone and check the quiet line facility.

If the line is noisy ring 151 and ask if it is possible to speak to an engineer. He/she should be able to advise on whether it is worth having the gain increased.

But other than check that you have the best possible line quality, the most you can expect are speeds from around 42kbps to 52kbps at maximum.

For dialup these are, in fact, good speeds; your choice of ISP will also make a difference. I get 49.3 with Tiscali and 52 with Pipex.

peeby 03:21 24 Sep 03

Can't rememeber any of the names but none of them appeared to make any worhtwhile difference. But if you want to fiddle you'll learn alot of new jargon.
rgds
peeby

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…