How often should I carry out driver/BIOS updates?

Cybermaxx 21:00 07 Jan 04

This may sound like a daft/newby question, but just how important is it to carry out these tasks? Do I need to update every driver for every component (eg CD drive, soundcard etc.)? The only driver I've changed so far has been for the graphics card. Any advice appreciated.

leo49 21:35 07 Jan 04

I take the boring view that if a component is working fine and provides all the facilities I use/want then I leave alone until an update offers something I actually want rather than miniscule theoretical improvements.

deadneat 21:44 07 Jan 04

I would only update bios if very necessary.

Legolas 21:53 07 Jan 04

As already said if everything is going ok I would leave well alone especially the BIOS this should only be done if absolutely necessary.

Cybermaxx 22:31 07 Jan 04

Thanks for the replies. I'll leave well alone, then! I really didn't fancy the prospect of searching for all these drivers, anyway.

woodchip 22:39 07 Jan 04

Drivers and BIOS are two different things while it's good to get updated drivers BIOS is only changed if you have problems that entail a update i.e. you want to fit a bigger cpu and the Original BIOS needs a update so can use a bigger CPU

dave-jens 22:50 07 Jan 04

Windows update will let you know if a driver on your components can be updated.

woodchip 22:57 07 Jan 04

That depends on what the Operating System is

navagator 23:03 07 Jan 04

I agree with all the above advice. If the bios isn't broken don't fix it. If on the other hand you decide too, I suggest that you go into your garden, dig a medium sized trench and wait for it to rain or preferably snow. At that point, stand in the trench dressed only in your boxer shorts and wait for the moment to pass. I wish I did.

Cybermaxx 18:15 08 Jan 04

Hmmm, very interesting, navagator. Okay, thread closed! Thanks, everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…