How often is normal for cleaning printing heads?

heronsbridgeA8 10:32 25 Apr 06

Last november I bought Epson RX520. Worked fine for 3/4mths no problems. Then I had lines on some graphics, told to clean printer heads. This used a huge amount of ink as i had to do it 4 times before it printed correctly. i have had to do this at least 4 times in the last 2/3 mths, each time using a lot of ink. Is this normal? we use the printer a lot so it is different cartridges.

many thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:33 25 Apr 06

I have epson and cannon printers. Both are used infrequently and in 2 years I have never needed to clean their heads.

G

Rich Pickings 10:36 25 Apr 06

I have an Epson Stylus 810. I also have problems with head cleaning but I put it down to using compatible cartridges. The problems I get are still preferable to paying nearly £40 for genuine Epson cartridges.

BRYNIT 11:00 25 Apr 06

Do you have the printer near a radiator, this can dry the ink in the print head.

heronsbridgeA8 12:06 25 Apr 06

the printer is right above the radiator, maybe this is the problem!

jack 14:28 25 Apr 06

Obove the radiator - then it is sure to dry.

move to a cooler spot. also printing a colour page at least one a week to keep it sweet.

woodchip 14:33 25 Apr 06

Use the Printer at least once in two weeks if you want it to keep going

woodchip 14:35 25 Apr 06

Epson Clean the Heads without you doing anything other than switching it on. It will also do it if left on for some time

woodchip 14:37 25 Apr 06

PS Not many know, but if you change to compatible cartridges, you should use a cleaning cartridge before you put them in as Ink chemistry may not mix. And cause problems like ink blocks

pj123 14:38 25 Apr 06

Epson Technical Support person told me:

Never switch your printer off. You won't have to do cleans.

I have an Epson 895 and an Epson R200. I never switch them off and have never had to do a head clean on them since.

I do run a print test on both printers once a week just to keep them clean. Just a simple document in word that has text and a few colour squares and circles.

pj123 14:45 25 Apr 06

Rich Pickings, I have been using compatible ink cartridges from Choice Stationery for years and never had any problems.

woodchip, not heard of that before. I have always used compatible ink when the original cartridges have run out. Never used "cleaning cartridges" at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…