how to network 2 pcs on 1 broadband connection

bigdamouk 01:09 10 Feb 03

I have my main PC upstairs connected to broadband via an extension cable to the phone socket down stairs. i also have an older pc downstairs which was hooked up to the net via dial up...but since ive got bband this doesnt work any more! how can i network the two pcs so they both run on the bband, without having more cables trailing up and downstairs?????
Im a complete newbie to networking?!

Kudu 01:26 10 Feb 03

I have broadband networked by cable but if you don't want cables i suppose you need something like thisclick here

bigdamouk 01:30 10 Feb 03

link doesnt work Kudu...............does anyone know any good sites for networking for beginners??

Kudu 01:32 10 Feb 03

Sorry link did not work. But go to search on that page & put in Wireless Networking Broadband.

bigdamouk 01:35 10 Feb 03

thanks for that Kudu.....plenty to choose from

Terrahawk 01:40 10 Feb 03
  jazzypop 01:51 10 Feb 03

Your basic choice for allowing two PCs to share a BB connection are

1. Connect the BB to PC 1, then use that as a gateway to allow PC 2 to connect via PC 1 to the web. This is Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) in Windows. Obviously, as PC 1 is the gateway, it needs to be switched on for PC 2 to connect to the Web.

2. Connect the BB to a Router, and connect each PC to it. As the Router is left switched on, each PC can connect independently of each other.

Either option above can be implemented with Ethernet cables, or wirelessly.

For option 1, you need to connect the BB modem to PC 1, then a network card from PC 1 to a network card in PC 2.

For option 2, you need a network card in each PC.

As before, the network cards can be wireless or wired (Ethernet).

See click here and click here and click here for more detailed advice.

bigdamouk 03:04 10 Feb 03

thanks guys.......and thank you jazzypop..great stuff!

Reb 21:58 11 Feb 03

I have two pc's and broadband and currently have the computers networked via cards plugged into a hub. I am using ICS but want to change to using a router as its annoying having to have one pc on to use the internet on the other. Would the router take the place of the hub or be as well as??
:-) thanks for any help

jazzypop 22:17 11 Feb 03

The router takes the place of the hub, but just to confuse matters, you could connect the hub to the router (if you wanted to) to give you even more ports.

jazzypop 22:20 11 Feb 03

A picture is worth a thousand words .... see click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…