How much space does XP need to run properly?

Paul2008 08:30 06 Dec 07

Hi
My HDD has 6 GB of free space and gettign smaller!
How space free space does XP need to run properly?
Am at present have 1GB RAM.
Thanks
Paul2008

xania 08:59 06 Dec 07

You have enough space and RAM, but you need to clear off some of the garbage. Have you emptied IE temp files (Tools>Internet Options>clear History) and all other temp folders. Next you can delete all those backup folders from all the Windows updates. You may find this helpful for more details

click here

Diemmess 09:25 06 Dec 07

6Gb free at present. What is the total capacity of your HD?

I ask that because I suspect you may have everything on one drive (C: ?).

If so and you have all your data on the same drive, you could be heading for disaster, unless you are using another HD for backup.

With 6Gb left there is still time for major reshuffling of what is stored where. (XP and several heavyweight applications take up less than 6GB of my drive.)

Full backup should be done regularly and if you don't keep all your data in a drive separated from the OS and applications, backups take longer and need a lot of space from another HD.

I know this may pose all sorts of problems for you but this forum is ready to help with the nitty gritty,

David4637 12:28 06 Dec 07

My XP OS takes 6 GB out of a 10 GB partitioned drive (c: drive). Always worked well, depends on the software your running. If you reduce the spare space say less than 8 GB you could run into trouble? David

exodus 18:19 06 Dec 07

Hi, it is just not the space that XP needs to install itself. For instance, when defragging, you need at least 10% free space on the drive for the defrag to function correctly.

If your HDD is 60GB with 6GB free space, then you are already at the limit.

I won't even mention the paging file etc.

Perhaps it is time to install a second HDD.

exo

SANTOS7 18:26 06 Dec 07

click here

this will help with any unwanted files and stuff..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac