how much ram for xp

darrenmoore@wightcablenorth.net 19:56 25 Apr 07

I mainly use for surfing,music,dvds,office apps no gaming
i currently have 512mb with on average about 250mb free
would you recommend going to 750,1gb or i.25gb
and would i notice much of a speed increase in loading pages,launching apps etc

im aiming to have pages load fast,also apps and have a few programs open with little loss of speed

also how does it work if i add 250mb will this automatically mean i have the extra 25omb free?

ps the o/s xp sp2,when i update to vista it will be with a new pc

Totally-braindead 20:02 25 Apr 07

How do you know you have 250mb free? What programs tells you this?

ive got freeramxp pro running in the toolbar
i dont know how accurate that is?
click here

Totally-braindead 20:24 25 Apr 07

Never used the program mate so I'm lost. I have no idea of what it does or how effective it is.
To answer your question if you upped your memory to 1 gig as an example you would see an increase in speed in terms of loading times for large programs such as some games. But in the likes of many programs its unlikely you would notice that much difference.
When you mention getting pages to load fast are you perhaps refering to the internet, if so then upgrading the memory will make no difference whatsoever as far as I am concerned.
Depending on what this program you have does then no you won't have another 512mb free if you add another 512mb as windows will assign more of the added memory to windows to increase the overall speed of the PC. It will up the free RAM but perhaps by half the module size.
If you have multiple programs open at the same time then you might well notice them being quicker to respond as you swop back and forward but how noticeable it would be is debatable.
You would be advised to check your motherboard with the Crucial website, see how much you have and how much you can actually take before you go any further.
click here

Totally- Braindead
thanks for such a great reply

its not slow by any means but i was reading up on this page
click here
why do i need more memory- it says web pages load faster?
ps if anybodys using freeram xp pro what stats do you get

thanks once again

Totally-braindead 20:45 25 Apr 07

I fail to see how a web page could load faster. If you had 128mb then it would be so slow that any extra memory would be an improvement but assumming your PC is running ok with 512mb then the speed the webpage opens at will depend on the speed your PC can download it from the internet, adding more memory will not increase your download speed.

It will speed things up, not your download speed but programs starting that sort of thing but its not going to be a huge difference.
When you have a PC running 256mb on XP for example and you add another 256mb the difference is really noticeable. If you then go to 1 gig there is a difference but in many cases you are talking about fractions of a second. I've got 1 gig but I play a lot of games and more RAM means faster loading times for larger programs.

Go ahead and add more memory but don't expect a massive difference is all I am trying to say. You will notice some things being quicker but many things, in my opinion, will appear the same as they were before.

sunny staines 20:54 25 Apr 07

i upgraded 512 to 1gig did not see much difference using xp pro. but do use video edit software or gaming.

thanks again
ive been mulling it over for a while, i wasnt sure if it would make much of a difference, ive upgraded a laptop from 256mb to 512mb it was quite an improvement.
This set me thinking about upping my pc but you have set my mind at rest,
Thanks for feedback

thanks sunny staines i take it you meant dont use video edit software or gaming

i think ive just saved £30
thanks both

ill leave thread open; despite great answers
to see stats for freeram xp pro link
just curious to see what proportion of ram is free on other pcs
thanks again
Totally- Braindead and sunny staines

Arthur Scrimshaw 21:17 25 Apr 07

is to run your normal programs for a day, then without re-booting open the task manager, click on the performance tab and look at the peak commit charge number. If it's larger than the total physical memory (also shown in this tab) you would benefit from more memory.
I've heard a lot of tosh talked about how much memory you need (or can use)in xp, until recently I was running with 1Gb, but coming out of games like Stalker and Half Life 2, it would take the pc a while to become usable (only 5 secs or so) again. My peak commit was 1.3 gb, I've now got 2Gb and it's now instant. I've heard Vista is even more hungry in this respect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced