how much protection do I need?

badgery 08:10 12 Sep 03

I have XP and regularly 'update' the security settings. I was advised to download 'Zone Alarm' and 'Ad-aware' (both freebies!).
Should I consider Norton Antivirus, or am I overloaded with protection? Still a relative novice in these matters I'm afraid - it probably shows!!

Jester2K II 08:25 12 Sep 03

Do you have any anti virus?

If not AVG is good and free - click here Look for the Free Edition.

If you are on Broadband a firewall (ZA, Sygate etc) is essential. Dial Up not so important.

Jester2K II 08:27 12 Sep 03

I run

AVG 6 Free
Sygate Firewall Personal (Free) Edition
Ad-Aware (one a month scan)
Spybot (Once a month scan)
SpywareBlaster ("Always On" Spyware Protection - prevetns it being installed in the first place)

on a broadband XP box...

-pops- 08:47 12 Sep 03

Another one I could suggest is StartPage Guard click here which will stop attempts for nasty things to hijack your home page and install one that you would most likely prefer not to have.

With the ecxeption of anti-virus, all of these programs are very samll so they won't hog too much disk space. Even the antivirus is relatively small but, with the protection it gives, it's worth it being that big.

The items I use are AVG, Outpost firewall (similar to Sygate), Ad-aware, Spybot S&D, Spywareblaster, SpywareGuard (related to and a partner of Spywareblaster click here ) and StartPage guard (as above).

badgery 08:51 12 Sep 03

Thanks, I'm not on Broadband. Will look at AVG - somewhat confused by all the different 'Anti-virus, spyware etc etc'. Want protection but where does one stop??

Jester2K II 08:53 12 Sep 03

I stopped with the 4 above.

Anti Virus obviously deals with viruses.

however AdAware and Spybot deals with Adware and Spyware so its different protection.

You must have AV as a MINIMUM.

After that its up to you.

-pops- 08:57 12 Sep 03

"You must have AV as a MINIMUM."

Not only for your own protection but as a social responsibility to other computer users. A virus in your machine makes it act as a transmission agent to other machines.

badgery 09:02 12 Sep 03

Will get AV, thanks for the help, Jester & pops.

nkosi 09:04 12 Sep 03

I run XP on a broadband connection. I use the same anti-spyware programs as those mentioned but use Norton Internet Security for my AV and Firewall. It's no more effective than the others mentioned but runs both programs through the same interface and allows automatic live updating. If you like the psychological security of an international corporate nanny looking after you (like me) then you have to pay for it. But it can be quite cheap. I bought NIS 2003 from a regular seller on ebay for £15 post free, no problems.

-pops- 09:05 12 Sep 03

No need to pay out for Norton, though. AVG is excellent, easy to install and it works!!

hvs 09:14 12 Sep 03

A question for Jester 2 K11
The question put forward by badgery is one which I have been wanting to ask. Is the XP firewall sufficient with avast and internet security set as high as can sufficiently operate. I did have adaware but when I installed new ops Xp pro I have not put in back on I am on broadband as well. Should this also be an essential as I am not too sure on the limitations of avast to do with eliminating spyware?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…