how much memory?

jeez 22:33 20 Apr 03

I have a hp pavilion with an xp1800 processor, 256 mb ram, n 40gb hdd. how much memory is enough,any ideas? I'm thinking 512 but will 1gb be worth the expense? also can anyone recomend a decent graphics card on the cheap, not much of a gamer but want something with a bit of oomph! currently on board s3 savage, 32mbddr shared.

hugh-265156 22:38 20 Apr 03

bump it up to 512 and you should see an improvement in performance.

Lead 22:42 20 Apr 03

512mb should be plenty. Not much point in 1Gb unless you use a lot of memory intensive applications like photo/video editing.

jeez 22:51 20 Apr 03

ok, thanks I think this sorts the memory out anyone for the graphics card thing??

LastChip 22:51 20 Apr 03

There is also a contradiction, if you don't mind me pointing it out, in your post.

On the one hand, you are suggesting maybe 1Gig of memory and on the other, a cheap graphics card and your "not much of a gamer".

If your looking at serious memory (and 1 Gig even right now; is), why would you want a cheap graphics card? The two just don't go hand in hand. If your not heavily into games, why would you want 1Gig of memory?

The only time you will see a significant improvement in your computers operation with a top line graphics card and 1 Gig of memory, is if you are playing leading edge games, or, you are heavily into video processing or CAD/CAM. Then there will be real benefits, but otherwise, probably 512MBts of RAM is the optimum.

But please also note my title. Earlier operating systems will not support 1Gig and some BIOS's won't either. So you need to decide what you want to achieve and whether your machine will support your chosen size of memory.

I hope you find this post helpful, it's not meant to be critical, but I could see how it could be misinterpreted.

jeez 23:01 20 Apr 03

no offence taken, windows xp pro by the way, I was thinking 1 gig for multitasking, general speed improvement, but wasn't sure if I would see enough of an increase to justify the expense. I fail to see though how serious memory and a top line card go hand in hand surely this only applies if your a gamer which I am not. If using several number crunching apps are to be run at the same time (or similar) then more memory would be beneficial whilst a top graphics card would not, I don't, however wan't too much of a bottleneck, that's why I asked about a decent graphics card "on the cheap" to mean the most cost effective combination with out overspending. I do agree though that 512mb of ram should be quite sufficent, just need to get the graphics card sorted now, thanks very much for your help.

hugh-265156 23:25 20 Apr 03

i have this one and would recommend it click here

DieSse 23:29 20 Apr 03

Depends a lot by what you mean as cheap - I always supply nvidia based cards, as the drivers seem very sound. For cheap cheap, a GeForce 4 MX440 or 460 would be good. For more, a GeForce Ti4200 would be very fast, without breaking the bank. Lots of manufacturers use these chipsets, so the brand name is not so important.

jeez 23:31 20 Apr 03

thanks but I think that's a bit of overkill for what I would use it for ( normal apps, footy manager game, etc)

jeez 23:34 20 Apr 03

yup, that's more like it, good solid performance rather than just raw speed. Thanks everyone for all your advice, it's very appreciated especially dieSse

LastChip 23:38 20 Apr 03

The reasons behind using such a combination, are for the uses pointed out above.

There will be no appreciable benefit for multi-tasking alone by going above 512MBts, particularly as XP's memory management is significantly better than most previous Microsoft offerings. Now, if you are going to go with the memory, I would assume you are going to get into video etc. so you would have needed a top of the range graphics card.

But as you have said, that is not your intention.

As regards graphics cards, last months top of the range all singing all dancing card, is this weeks budget offering! Well not quite perhaps, but you get the picture. (no pun intended). So, by looking through the reviews of say a year ago, you can buy fantastic value, just because those cards have been superseded. Any card with decent reviews and 64MBts of on board RAM would be a good starting point.

But do take a careful look at your computer manual. I notice it is HP, and you have shared memory. Make sure what the mother board is capable of, in terms of whether the sharing can be disabled, and whether there are any restrictions as to what you can fit in the machine. Proprietary manufacturers on the whole, do tend to limit what can be done in terms of up-grading, and it would be a disappointment to you, if you bought new equipment, but it couldn't fully function.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…