How much memory

eedcam 22:02 24 Jul 06

Having problem with a program hanging and checking my memory usage with pc idle it is around 200 Mb is this about average I am running XP sp2 and have 512 Mb installed

DieSse 22:28 24 Jul 06

Looks fine to me.

Which program is hanging?

sean-278262 22:29 24 Jul 06

Well I have 1gb and currently I have 539mb free but I have some system tray icons running. It really depends what you are running in the background try starting in safe mode and seeing what is used as firewalls, AV software and more all use the space up.

eedcam 22:37 24 Jul 06

Adobe premiere elements when it hangs (not responding) memory usage is 500+ which is probably the reason I just wondered if 200 at idle was excessive

ed-0 22:47 24 Jul 06

Increase your paging file. Set the min and max to a reasonable level.

Adobe loves eating the paging file:-(

eedcam 22:50 24 Jul 06

How do you do that please

sean-278262 22:58 24 Jul 06

Have you tried using the easiest method and leaving it be when it "hangs" to see if it manages to sort things out. Often I find that bottlenecks in my computers cause programs to stall when they use a lot of power and leaving it 2 or 3 more minutes than normal can often solve it.

sean-278262 22:58 24 Jul 06

Have you tried using the easiest method and leaving it be when it "hangs" to see if it manages to sort things out. Often I find that bottlenecks in my computers cause programs to stall when they use a lot of power and leaving it 2 or 3 more minutes than normal can often solve it.

ed-0 22:59 24 Jul 06

Right click my computer > properties > advanced > performance > advanced > virtual memory > change > high light the c drive and pick custom size. Put 1500 in the min and max box. The pick set and ok. click here

You may have to restart the computer.

eedcam 23:12 24 Jul 06

C of N Ive waited an hour with nowt happeningI am using 500+ when it goes not responding
Ed-o I have 2 drives do I only do C?

ed-0 23:27 24 Jul 06

If you have the space on the other drive, use that one.

High light that drive and put 1500min and 1500 max.

For the "C" drive tick the no paging file button. So you just have virtual memory on the slave hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant