How much memory?

BigMoFoT 15:32 15 Dec 03

Currently have 512 MB of DDR, XP2100 chip running windows XP - Is there any point/benefit of adding another 512 MB?

Is the optimum memory for XP 512 MB?

Trackrat 15:37 15 Dec 03

I am currently running 2 x 512mb DDR and although it does not run significantly faster it is better when doing video editing and I never get any insufficent memory problems. But it is your choice, if you have no problems with your current set up why change it?.

hector 911 17:21 15 Dec 03

it depends on your mobo BIOS, check which motherboard you have or PC model, and go to thier website, or go to crucial and check how much RAM you can run, it`s nothing to do with XP

Cheapest upgrade for your PC is adding RAM.

BigMoFoT 17:38 15 Dec 03

Hector 911

What ?

Gongoozler 17:45 15 Dec 03

Try the Kingston memory assessor click here

Jester2K II 17:47 15 Dec 03

Optimum amount of memory for XP is 1 Gb.

Does your MoBo support "dual channel DDR"? If so an IDENTICAL stick of 512 DDR can be used to not only increase the amount but almost DOUBLE the speed (if it supports Dual Channel DDR)

As Hector 911 says - your MoBo might also have an upper limit too. What MoBo do you have?

Trackrat 17:49 15 Dec 03

generally on modern motherboards their are 2,3 or 4 slots for memory and a lot of these will take 1gb of memory so if you have 2 slots your theoretical maximum is 2gb but your motherboard book will tell ypu the amount each slot can take.

BigMoFoT 17:55 15 Dec 03

Perhaps I should have explained a little more - Mobo is Asus A7V33 which can support upto 3GB, the point I was trying to get accross was; Would 1GB be overkill?

As a system it is used for gaming/broadband gaming, video editing and DVD burning!

So technically I may benefit from a gig?

Jester2K II 17:57 15 Dec 03

If you can afford it then all those things will benefit from as much RAM as you can a) afford and b) fit.

Jester2K II 17:57 15 Dec 03

1 Gb DDR in a "Dual Channel" arrangement is what i'll be putting in my next PC.... (sometime never)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…