How much hassel can a hard disk handle?

DavidB71 21:14 03 Oct 05

I used to have my HDD partitioned for windows+progs(C) and then my docs on D. Nothing new there i know. Now I have C as a separate drive and a second hard drive for my docs. I've started video editing and I usually have media player on while I work. How much demand can a hard disk cope with comfortably when reading for different info? Will I notice much diff in speed if windows, docs and media were all on separate drives?

This will apply even more when I start wireless sharing my music files to another PC at the same time for another user to listen to. Will it fall over eventually?

DieSse 23:03 03 Oct 05

The hard drive itself will have no problems with anything you can get the computer to do. Forget worrying about it.

The problem you will get with pushing the system too hard, is it will slow down. More RAM and/or a faster processor are the standard ways to speed it up again.

woodchip 23:36 03 Oct 05

What you need to watch is the PSU will handle the extra load

theDarkness 00:42 04 Oct 05

The temperature is important to watch also with a hard drive- Ive had a clicking/slowing 80Gig Seagate one as a result of this!

I bought my pc from Time Computers almost a couple of years ago now, and some of their pcs at the time had a power supply which blew hot air out, and directly underneath that, a case fan (trying to) blow cool air in. Not good- the recommendation with todays systems is cool air in at the front (if you install a front fan-optional) and hot air blowing out at the back (both case and psu fans).

Admittedly my pc only had built in graphics and sound on the motherboard, so nothing that fancy to work it too hard and make it hot.. but even with no extra cards my system tended to reach fairly high temperatures (up to 50C!) which seemed to knacker the hard drive after a while and make it click once or twice each time it was switched on.

Admittedly the Seagate drive never totally stopped working, but I decided to replace it, and I now have a new case fan which blows hot air out and a small front fan blowing air in (which works very well even though it doesnt fit it in my case 100% properly). My drives now only reach a reasonable 35C maximum when working hard and 25C (after startup) to 33C maximum at all other times when doing fairly minimal/medium tasks.

You can get Everest as a rough guide to check your hard drive temperatures here:
click here

My old fan ('fan1' and 'fan2' pictures) can be seen here:
click here
'newfan' 1 and 2 are obviously for my new front case fan, but its hard to see here in this pic even with the front of the pc case not attached because it has a bluw light. I didnt realise it had one(!) but it works fine. My 'front1' picture shows a hard drive cooler I used to have installed for my second Maxtor hard drive, but in the end Ive realised that the coolers are noisey and with the right airflow (even with fast hdrives) you can get similar or lower temperatures anyway even without one!

I hope some of the above is of use to you and anyone else with hd problems :)

DavidB71 21:18 04 Oct 05

Thanks guys. I haven't yet noticed any speed issues but i've got an AMD 64 3000 and 1GB ram. If the HDD can handle all requests then that's cool. Dunno how it does it. Will keep an eye on the CPU load.
Just been playing with everest home edition. Blimey it tells you everything. What a prog and it's free. Bit freaked out it's reading my maxtor HDD at 120 degrees though. Thanks for the recc Darkness.

LogIK 21:22 04 Oct 05

Yeah, I had hard drives overheat before, after pushing them pretty much non-stop for days. That's the only bother I've ever had.

Chegs ® 00:15 05 Oct 05

click here

HD temp monitor,used it for a couple of years to monitor the (occasionally) high temps of my SATA HD's.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…