How much does a PC cost to run?

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:08 24 May 05

I recall reading somewhere that you can work out the cost (in terms of electricity) of running a PC.

It went something along the lines of:

A 400w PSU running at max is xx kilowatt hours which is £xxxxxxxx per year.

Can anyone remind me how this works?

Or did I dream it?

Thanks

Tas

wee eddie 23:55 24 May 05

Make a list of all the equipment you run.

Record the Power consumption from the back of each transformer and the PSU.

Add them all up, and reduce the figure by 1/3rd.

Multiply this figure by the number of hours you run them each day.

Multiply this figure by 363 ~ you're not going on line over Christmas ~ Are you!

Divide by 1000.

Multiply by the cost per Kilowatt hour.

Divide by 100

Add the environmental subsidy.

Increase by 8% for inflation.

Add 17.5% VAT.

That's it ~ Simple really!

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:00 25 May 05

It is rare that a PC is run at full power and most of the time it costs less than a light bulb (40W). Turning off the monitor when not in use reduces the costs dramatically. I have had my PCs running for 3 years with Little noticeable difference in leccy bills.

G

tasslehoff burrfoot 00:02 25 May 05

are you having me on?

No offense if you're not but I don't understand that!

Tas

Djohn 00:02 25 May 05

We've had a discussion on this many times but I can't find the topics in the search engine or my postings but they are there.

Try these two sites for accurate figures and how to calculate running cost. click here click here

Hi wee eddie, hope your keeping well?

Djohn 00:05 25 May 05

As GANDALF <|:-)> says, the cost is so little, its not worth worrying about, just turn off the monitor when not in use, but with TFT monitors even these don't consume much power when on, average 40 watt.

TomJerry 00:05 25 May 05

power cost is almost nothing comparing with other running cost such as occasional upgrading, software, printer ink etc

Belatucadrus 00:46 25 May 05

click here
PCPro article, not that little and if everybody adds up to a combined total, that's a lot of energy up the power station chimney for no good reason.

Gandalph 00:57 25 May 05

Computer, Scanner, Monitor, Printer, Mains fed speakers etc. 30pence per 24 hours.

Gandalph 00:59 25 May 05

There is only 5% VAT on leccy.

Djohn 01:08 25 May 05

Well I'm not sure where they got their figures from but I leave my PC on 24/7 most of the time + fridge TV video DVD etc, all the normal household items and we have economy 10 electric heating [Very expensive] with domestic hot water on same system. Live in a 1 bedroom detached bungalow and my annual bill for electric is still only just over £400 pounds.

I really don't see how I can save hundreds by following the suggestions in that report. :o(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…