How much does it cost to run a PC 24x7

reddwarfcrew 17:52 04 Feb 06

Does anyone know roughly how much it costs in £'s to have a PC switched on 24x7?

Thanks.

pj123 18:19 04 Feb 06

I doubt very much whether it will get into £s.

Mr Mistoffelees 18:37 04 Feb 06

Unless the pc is in constant use, perhaps as a web server, there is no reason to for it to be switched on 24/7. To keep it on all the time is just waste. Many will tell you the hardware will be adversely affected by being switched on and off, but unless you switch on and off repeatedly, rather than once or twice a day, this is just not true with modern hardware.

Fingees 18:52 04 Feb 06

Roughly to run a 400watt PSU it will use 1 KWh in 2.5 hrs.

This is 1 unit of electricity.

therefore in 24 hrs it will be roughly 10 units.

at 8p per unit that makes it 80p per 24hours

Stuartli 18:56 04 Feb 06

I don't think you would notice all that much difference cost wise either way - mine's left on for about 15 hours a day although, before I got broadband, it was switched on and off as necessary.

No component has ever failed because of being switched on and off despite this occurring many thousands of times.

reddwarfcrew 18:58 04 Feb 06

I used to switch it on and off as and when, then I got broadband and just like being able to walk up to the pc and start using it without having to wait for it to boot.

However, my lecy bill seems to have gone up by about £10 per month.

Stuartli 19:18 04 Feb 06

I'm not an electrician par se but it appears to me that a PSU unit is basically a mains AC/DC transformer, converting the voltage supplies to 12, 5, 3 and 1.7 etc depending on the CPU etc.

So it will, as far as I can make out, rarely be used at the full wattage rate.

spuds 19:18 04 Feb 06

You will probably find that £8/£10 per month is about right. Also take into consideration, all the additional that you may have on also, like printers,scanners,cameras,modems etc. Only small wattage, but it all adds up at the end of the month.

I was reading a university report recently, covering items that are left on in the average household and small industrial premises. Made very interesting reading, regarding costs and safety factors. Just tried to locate the item,for some facts, but it looks like I have recycled the publication.

britto 19:19 04 Feb 06

In the average desktop setup the monitor will use a little more electricity than the computer 500w i think therefore just over 1£ per 24hrs.
although the computer may have say a 450w psu it will not be using this much all the time so cost will vary

Diemmess 19:20 04 Feb 06

Very observant of you! You are almost certainly correct.
Fingees suggests a much higher figure, but that is @ 400watts per hour!

You may have a PSU which can feed that sort of hunger but for most of the time you will use far far less.
Imagine the heat dissipated from a 400 watt device.

Like you, I leave mine on most of the day when around, but it always goes off at night.

If you are using a CRT and could change to a TFT that might halve the bill.

Stuartli 19:22 04 Feb 06

Just found these:

click here

click here

Plus some accessories(!):

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now