How much do we actually know?

BigMoFoT 14:24 14 Jan 04

Been visiting this forum for sometime now and have received some excellent advice and have also seen some quality advice given.

However we trust people we know nothing about to tell us how to retreive that ever important document for example..

So my question to you all is, exactly how much do you all know, do any off you work in the IT industry, any qulaifications etc?

Thought it might be interesting thats all...

Chegs ® 14:29 14 Jan 04

I read thru the threads,I take note of who said what to fix xyz.I sometimes resort to google-ing the errors in persuit of the answer.There are a few IT pro's about here,but most are just Mr/Mrs/Miss Average who have had similar probs with their pc and they simply type out what they did to fix it. :-)

Djohn 14:34 14 Jan 04

Same as Chegs ® I read the problems and fixes, and look through Google and other reference sites/books.

I know that people can do this themselves, but unless you know how to phrase a question in a search engine, it can be very difficult to find any answer that resembles the question your asking. I know this from my attempts at searching when I first started. :o(

Stormpool 14:42 14 Jan 04

I'm a support technician for a national computer company. 3 guesses....

Chegs ® 14:42 14 Jan 04

Do you suffer from Search on PCA as much as the rest,I keep seeing repeat posts and try as I might,Searching PCA for the answers I know are there often beats me. :-)

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 14:45 14 Jan 04

I know lots,just not about pc's but i get a lot of help off here and i am sometimes reluctant to post an answer cos i dont know how to put it down right lol.

Reagrds.

Legolas 14:49 14 Jan 04

I am in my HND year at college doing IT but I think I have learnrd as much if not more in this forum.

ThePharcyde007 14:52 14 Jan 04

IMB Romsey here

Djohn 15:01 14 Jan 04

Yep! The best way I've found so far is to use the search as follows.

In the first box, type the word, [preferably 1]then in the middle box, change that from "And" to "Or" and in the third box, type the same word as in the first one.

Tick "All discussion" and place a dot in the "Search titles and all postings" as well.

This seems to work better than most, but not all the time. j.

Big Elf 15:07 14 Jan 04

20 years of building, botching, breaking and generally messing things up has given me some very limited experience of fixing a few hardware and software problems. I started using PC's in 1992 and have used nearly every MS operating system from DOS 5 to XP. I often read threads where I think 'I've had that' but the trouble is that sometimes I can't remember exactly what I did to fix it.

I've learnt the most though over this last year from reading the threads.

I also use google as it’s one of the best tools for tracking down solutions I’ve found.

Djohn - I'll try that in future.

woodchip 15:09 14 Jan 04

I am just a retired Old Man, learned PC’s from Books, and Pcadvisor mainly as regards Mags, but also other Mags

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…