How much can i get for this old pc

clayton 19:39 08 Feb 03

Hi i have an old pc taking up space i want to get rid of its a Intel celeron 400mz with 64mb ram 4gb hard drive 40x cd-rom 56k modem 15 inch monitor keyboard & mouse.

Patr100 19:44 08 Feb 03

click here will give you an idea but I would certainly say less than £100

Pesala 19:47 08 Feb 03

Are you selling it with Windows software, installation CDs etc?

« Ravin » 19:59 08 Feb 03

if clayton doesn't mind could anyone here if it's worth selling this one?

Amd k6 II @ 550 MHz

256 mb pc100 sdram

10 GB 7200 rpm hard drive

15" monitor, keyboard with hotkeys volume etc , modem , cd rom 48x,scroll mouse usual stuff..

at present running windows me and office 2000 but no discs. go the original windows 98 SE disk .all hardware works with no problems with win xp too.

clayton 20:27 08 Feb 03

yes it has windows 98 cd

Pesala 20:47 08 Feb 03

Let me know how much you want and where you are?

Stuartli 22:51 08 Feb 03

Your system is worth exactly what anyone is prepared to pay for it.

Someone with little knowledge of computer systems might pay more than someone who knows their way around...

Why not try the secondhand car formula of asking a bit more than you expect and be prepared to negotiate with a prospective buyer?

Pesala 13:05 09 Feb 03

Without a legal operating system it is not worth much. Windows alone is £70. When one buys a new PC, one usually gets a new OS, so the old one is still a licensed copy, and can be sold with the machine. What happened to yours? Even if it came with Windows 3.1 that is better than nothing.

Pesala 13:06 09 Feb 03

That was addressed to Ravin.

SpyMan²°°­­³ 14:57 09 Feb 03

Computers these days don't have approximate values when selling second hand, you might be lucky and get someone to buy it for more than you were expected or not even be able to sell for the price of the p+p.

I saw a PC for sale the other day with a simlar spec to the ones you both have for sale and it was going £350. I was surprised at the high price as a few weeks before that i couldn't even sell mine for that price and mine was:

AMD Athlon 1.3GHz
30Gb ATA100 7200rpm hdd
SB 512 sound card
TNT2 32mb Graphics card
374mb PC 133 RAM
17" Hitachi monitor
12x DVD Rom

Now i thought that was reasonable...obviously not. I even lowered the price to £300 but still wouldn't sell. I didn't bother selling it eventually...i wasn't that desperate for the money so i gave it to my g/f.

I would suggest that if you aren't desperate for the money...i wouldn't consider selling it if you won't get at least £200. Be a nice chap and give it away.

SpyMan²°°­­³ 15:01 09 Feb 03

Whats the problem with having no operating system...most people these days already have several versions of windows operating systems gathering dust...i'm sure the buyer could get hold of one. I for one wouldn't be sorry to say goodbye to my 98, 98se and ME discs (all original)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…