how much bigger can I go

Looks like I'll have to make changes, 'cause of my failing CPU fan. When I do this how much of an improvement can I make if I change the CPU as well.
current mb Asus A7 266E CPU socket A AMD Athlon(TM) XP1800+
Max Speed: 1550 MHz (Max Speed)
Family.Model.Step: 7.6.2
3DNow!(tm) support: yes
3DNow!(tm) Extensions support: yes
MMX(tm) support: yes
MMX(tm) Extensions support: yes
SSE support: yes
SSE2 support: no
L1 Data Cache Size: 64 Kbytes
L1 Instruction Cache Size: 64 Kbytes
L2 Cache Size: 256 Kbytes

Stuartli 23:51 26 Dec 06
  woodchip 00:04 27 Dec 06

You will find it difficult other than Ebay to get a Socket A CPU now

hzhzhzhz 00:22 27 Dec 06

I think I have an Athlon 2400 chip that I wont use again.

Totally-braindead 00:29 27 Dec 06

I have to agree with woodchip. If you can get a faster Athlon XP off Ebay it might be ok but I notice in the support list that only some processors are listed so that could make getting the right processor a bit of a minefield. And to be honest the difference is not that great even if you get the fastest one listed. It could well be a waste of money as I don't think you would notice a great deal of difference.
I think if you need or want a faster PC its time to think of a new base station or depending on what is in your old PC a barebones system. Something like this perhaps click here add a reasonable AGP graphics card and it may well do you for some time, the more expensive barebones are of course better. It depends what you want to do with it and how much you can spend.
In short I don't think its worth the effort that would be involved to upgrade the processor in the board you have.

Thanks all for your help. It seems that there is nothing to be gained from changing the CPU as the bios is version 1010 so anything bigger (athlon 2400) requires 1011/2 will just change the fan untill I save up for a new PC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5