how mcuh do i need?

jesta 22:38 14 Apr 06

how much do i need to apply on the cpu?i have an athlon 64 x2 4400+ and the thermal compound is one of the own branded ones, is that good enough if im not going to overclock?

ed-0 22:44 14 Apr 06

This may help. click here

jesta 23:15 14 Apr 06

yeah had a look at that but some people said that its better to have a thin layer of thermal compound on the whole surface of the cpu but other said a blob in the middle of the cpu will do. just wanted to know which technique everyone else uses on there athlon 64. how do you apply it on?

hzhzhz 23:50 14 Apr 06

Get a good quality paste and spread it thinly and evenly.

hzhzhz 23:54 14 Apr 06

--over the whole surface.

Stuartli 23:59 14 Apr 06

Will NOT do. In fact it is likely to be less efficient.

As hzhzhz says, as thinly and evenly as possible over the surface.

Stuartli 00:00 15 Apr 06

Now there's a first...:-))

Stuartli 00:01 15 Apr 06

The original should have read: >>a blob in the middle of the cpu will do>>

jesta 00:04 15 Apr 06

so i need something like artic silver? as the ebuyer own branded one is not good enough? also so a blob in the middle or a thin layer on the whole surface?

Stuartli 00:07 15 Apr 06

The e-Buyer version should be perfectly adequate if you apply it properly, but Artic Silver would be somewhat better although expensive.

I use a basic termal paste with an Athlon XP 3200+ and it's proved more than adequate.

hzhzhz 00:11 15 Apr 06

NO BLOB IN THE MIDDLE. Spread thinly and evenly over the whole surface. Your e-buyer paste will be ok as long as you are overclocking to the extreme.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…