How many XP installs?

Stroller 20:58 21 Apr 05

My 'main' PC, running XP pro has failed, we think the motherboard has suffered, (It was on line last night and we had a power cut and has not worked since, along with some light bulbs!).

I have decided to buy a new MB, CPU and graphics card, but do not want to buy a new XP disk.

I have installed and re-installed my copy of XP three times already, last time was in March 2004 after I upgraded a harddrive.

Will I still be able to use this copy of the OS, or will I have to fork out and buy another copy, of XP Pro?
Does MS allow the XP to be re-installed many times or just a few?

TIA, Stroller

Technotiger 21:07 21 Apr 05

Hi, I have not checked, but I would guess that there is no limit on number of installs, as long as it is only on one pc at any one time.

Technotiger 21:09 21 Apr 05

ps - I would advise getting a Power Surge Protection plug for immediate use. I have such a plug and I also had a full power failure when my pc was running - with no ill effects at all.

lotvic 21:09 21 Apr 05

there is no limit to the number of times you can activate. article 824125

How to replace the motherboard on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000
(824125) - This article describes how to replace a motherboard on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows XP, or Microsoft Windows 2000. Two typical reasons for replacing a motherboard are to upgrade an existing one and to...
click here;en-us;824125

Indigo 1 21:12 21 Apr 05

The most likely component to have failed in a power failure or surge would not be the motherboard or CPU, it would be the Power Supply Unit.

Try a substitute that you know to be good.

VoG II 21:13 21 Apr 05

lotvic's link click here

lotvic 21:13 21 Apr 05

click here and enter 824125

(anybody help me with pasting microsoft kb links. I will have to start a thread and get some tips...)

lotvic 21:14 21 Apr 05

how'd you do that? I can never get it right :(

VoG II 21:15 21 Apr 05
  lotvic 21:20 21 Apr 05

sorted links, thanks for that, it's been driving me nuts !

great1 21:31 21 Apr 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…