How many windows can you have open at once in XP

TrevNI 20:31 29 Oct 07

I am using Windows XP and Office Professional XP with Outlook 2002 SP3.

Am I right in saying there is a setting in the computer which limits the number of windows that can be open at any one time ? I go in to a chat site which takes basically 3 windows to get in and more often than not when I then open and minimise 3 or 4 chat windows everything freezes. When you do Ctr Alt Del you hear a dull thud and nothing happens and you have to reboot from the soft reboot switch on machine.

Sometimes it freezes when there are 6 windows open and other times it freezes at 10.

Using XP Professional with 512 MB memory and loads of disk space.

Also another separate problem.

For the past few months when I open an email with any weblink in it when I click on the link a window opens with SELECT LANGUAGE in the blue band and below if a list with US English, French, German. Spanish and Italian and OK or Cancel. Clicking any of the options it then tries to install Adobe Flash Player (which is already on my machine) but nothing else happens and I cannot open the site.

If I go on to any website and click a link there it opens OK it is just clicking links in an email that is causing the problem.

brundle 20:35 29 Oct 07

No practical limit as far as I know, sounds as though the problem is with your system itself.

Do a system file check; click here

Do a chkdsk; click here

Do a full anti-virus update and scan.

Do a memory test; click here

Jak_1 20:41 29 Oct 07

In theory you can have as many open as you want, have had 30 open at once before now in IE and a further 8 in firefox plus two graphics progs running and a vpn and various backgound programs. It all really depends upon your computers resources.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:51 29 Oct 07

Using XP Professional with 512 MB memory

If you want to use several windows at once you will need more memory 512 is lower limit for XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…