How many ways can a H Disk die?

Diemmess 18:48 19 Jun 04

This isn't really a problem. It is solved already in my mind, but it might be nice to add to the fund of human knowledge about "expecting the unexpected."

I run 2 20Gb HDs the first for operating systems and the second for data. I still use Win98SE and fortunately have been using HyperOs which at least makes backing up the OS fairly simple and moderately quick.

Both HDs were 4 years old when the data disk was replaced by a new 40Gb disk....... A day ago after a reboot, Windows insisted on a surface scan and found 1 bad sector on the OS HD.

Today I have been copying the systems ready to restore to the older HD recently taken out of service.

When I connected the old disk alone to prepare it for its new use, and was using the floppy to boot, it somehow disabled the boot sequence, a prod on the Enter key would nudge it a little further but swopping the running disk for the one I wanted to use stalled the whole process three times.

No drive warning light, no strange noises, just blind disobedience.

OK its back to normal now with the bad sector disk in service and its "replacement" down for binning.

What do you think happened? My guess is motor drive failure, but since so much is controlled by the circuit board it could be anything there.

I've never had to cope with HD failure before, and fortunately am well placed to recover from this one.

Quite a coincidence, both drives are by the same manufacturer, almost the same age and spec.
It is unfair to name the manufacturer who used to give a 5 year warranty, but it does give credence to the idea of built-in fail-by date!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:17 19 Jun 04

There's a poem there surely

some found in this forum + some by experience
1. bad ide connection
2. bad ide cable
3. bad power connection
4. power surge
4. bent / broken pins
5. faulty / wrongly placed jumpers
6. motor failure
7. bad first sector
8. failed bearings
9. overheating
10. damaged heads / bent arm
11. damaged platter
12. physical case damage (oops I dropped it)
13. magnetic interference (wiped and ruined by storing next to a large magnet)

/\0/\

Diemmess 19:31 19 Jun 04

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/
A great start.

NB this must be a fault in the HD itself, jumpers, cables, power supply all work fine on the brother disk, but nothing arouses the dead and the computer takes ages to recognise it.

woodchip 19:38 19 Jun 04

Controller board on the Drive can pack in. Drive Bearing can break up so that you hear a grinding noise, head crash damage the drive plates I.E. bad sectors they are the main things that can happen. Physical damage breakages to cable pins etc.

woodchip 19:41 19 Jun 04

Controller board on the Drive can pack in. Drive Bearing can break up so that you hear a grinding noise, head crash damage the drive plates I.E. bad sectors they are the main things that can happen. Physical damage breakages to cable pins etc.

PS stickshone of drive plates so that the drive motor cannot spin the drive up sometimes it is possible to get over this by taking the drive out and flicking like you would a watch to get it going

Diemmess 12:46 20 Jun 04

This was resolved before it was posted really, but the silent death of this disk shows how fine is the line between normality and disaster if you don't make regular backups to a different medium.

The ways of restarting a duff disk make hilarious reading for any who browse past threads in this forum.

Since this disk was to have been wiped and then used "as new" I've lost nothing and had a lucky break at the same time.

I will go back to a childhood pastime of taking things appart to see what makes it go. When I did this a child, it probably never went again, properly that is.

woodchip 19:47 20 Jun 04

flicking like you would a watch, comes from Upgrading and Repairing PC's. By Scott Mueller Que books Sixth Edition

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…