How many pixels wide should my website be?

murgle 19:57 14 Mar 05

I'm in the process of modernising my website. I want the site to be visable to visitors on all types and size of monitors without them having to scroll to the right when using 14" and 15" monitors.

If I set the pages to be 800 pixels wide, would this be acceptable for all monitor sizes.

Many thanks.

Forum Editor 23:08 14 Mar 05

I doubt that there are more than 1% of people still using this size monitor, so forget about them.

800 pixels is an oft-quoted figure for optimum display, but in truth you could go wider. A very large number of visitors will be using 1024x768 display sizes and above. If you want to be very safe however, you should aim for a pixel width of about 760. That's because your pages may well go beyond 600 pixels in height as you add content, and browsers will insert a scroll bar which will obscure around 30 or 40 pixels at the right of the screen.

smudge101 01:03 15 Mar 05

If you reckon most of your target audience will have javascript enabled you could try determining the users screen resolution first and then having two versions of the site one for 800x600 and another for 1024x768.

This code should do it:

function ScreenResolution()
{ MonitorWidth = window.screen.width;
if (width == 1024)

You could set a default if they do not have javascript enabled.

smudge101 01:08 15 Mar 05

The code above did not come out formatted as I expected..... here goes...function ScreenResolution()

{ MonitorWidth = window.screen.width;

if (width == 1024)

Of course the "1024px.html" & "800px.html" would be replaced by the pages you wished them to view depending on their resolution.

murgle 06:17 15 Mar 05

Many thanks, you have been a great help. I know of 2 people still using 14" monitors so thought there were quite a few still around.

Thanks for your help.

Pesala 19:09 15 Mar 05

click here to get a rough idea of just how many people are still using 800x600 resolution. Probably more than you think, but it depends on what kind of site your's is.

Quote: "You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics. Statistics can often be misleading.

Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site. Different sites attract different audiences. Some web sites attract professional developers using professional hardware, other sites attract hobbyists using older low spec computers."

My friend has a 17" monitor, but uses 800 x 600 because he is short-sighted. He's a taxi driver, so I hope his eyesight is not way below average. I use 1024 x 768, but I need to zoom in on most sites to 120% or 150% on this site for comfortable reading.

Dchar23 12:42 16 Mar 05

If you set up a free account at click here you can find out what resolution your visitors are using aswell as other very usefull info.

Heres my Results if it helps:

80% 1024x768
13% 800x600
6% 1152x864

This is out of 100 page loads, which is the maximum log size you can have for free.

MikeyMooMoo 13:22 16 Mar 05

If ur gonna design ur page for 800x600 (which you should, unless you have a small target audience - that you know will have a bigger resoultion). Then you should set the MAX width to 780 pixels, any bigger and it'll be too wide for the screen!

pmorff 23:19 07 Apr 05

Even though designers are moving away from table layout and using CSS. The table formatted website can be set at 100% of screen width and will resize to the browser window regardless of its size.
I use this on all of my websites and I only need to set up with this setting.

Even though monitor sizes differ you must remember that the webpage does not fill the screen but browser which can be resize to less than 800px wide.

Best thing to do is set up your website and then look at it on different size monitors and in resized browsers. you will get an idea how it will look and also what is appropriate for your website.

ADH 15:45 08 Apr 05

Use relative sizing - and don't forget, even if someone has 1024x768 on their display, if they normally have a sidebar displayed (bookmarks, history, whatever) then the space left for the page is reduced. Also, not everyone runs all their windows maximised all the time.

There's very little that's more annoying on a website than having to scroll side to side, because (a) it's not as easy as vertical scrolling (lots of mice have vertical scroll wheels, very few have horizontal scrolling) and (b) you have to do it for every line of text!

swapper 17:02 25 Jan 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…