How many "My Documents" does XP have?

naggis 11:49 07 Mar 04

I have recently installed xp pro and find that it seems to want to store my documents in three places - "My Documents", " Documents and Settings" in C: drive and under my named documents. There appears to be storage space taken up in each location so they do not seem to be "shortcuts" to a single location.
What is going on and how can I have only one location for any given document.

Paranoid Android 12:01 07 Mar 04

Windows XP (and 2000) is set up so that each user has a separate documents folder, but they are all called My Documents from the perspective of the user currently logged on.

So when you log on, Windows sets up the shortcuts to point to your specific documents folder.

The actual location is c:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents. The others are all shortcuts. If you right-click and select propoerties, you will see this for yourself.

They are not multiple copies of the same file, if you delete a document from one it disappears from all.

Marvin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…