How many linux users are in here?

Linus Tourvalds 21:34 08 Sep 03

Regarding my post click here
i would like to see how many Linux users are members so as to ask FE if we can have our own section in the forum like the webdesign and consumer watch.

Ill start.......... mandrake 9.1

whos next?

spuds 21:44 08 Sep 03

Not a Linux user (yet), but I would like to learn more, being a total novice. I have just been offered a bumper pack containing Suse Linux 8.1 plus and including Partion Magic 8.0 for approx £40.00. Wonder whether this is a good buy or not.I have alsorts of questions to ask, so a special Linux section, could be worth consodering, if the FE and other members thing that it is feasible.

Q-Bie 21:45 08 Sep 03

-waves-

Debian

Kitz E Kat 21:46 08 Sep 03

"we like the mix of questions and the site is fine as it is" will be the answer you get from the FE...
OK by me!!!
How many Linux users well me, Red Hat 9 will try Mandrake when i get the time , i did a post like this a while ago, click here
Some good links to be found from the Linux Gurus on this site.....

Happy computing Linus....
Kitz on my 100% M$ FREE pawtop!!!!!
( i do have XP, but keep that quiet)...

Bandy 21:53 08 Sep 03

Linus

I started using Mandrake a little while ago and am still very much a beginner, However I am enjoying it and have now purchased another hard drive so that I can use it better with my existing system.

Judging by the number of postings there must be a fair number of members in the forum.

Personally I would prefer to see the current mix of questions within the existing forum rather than different pages, partly because much of my interest and learning was started here.

I also feel that if linux users were separated there would be a danger that they would be isolated and newcomers unlikely to switch to that page.

You obviously think differently and I'd be interested to know why you want a separate page.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:16 08 Sep 03

Aren't there Linux forums for this sort of thing?

/me posts thread on Linuxuser forum entitled, 'can we have a windows forum on here?'

G

Linus Tourvalds 22:23 08 Sep 03

as usual being his helpful friendly self. Read my original post properly and you will see what i said about dedicated linux forums.

Bandy i just thought that if there was a seperate part it would encourage more linux users to come here to seek help, and also to not clogg up the helproom with people seeking 'real' help and not asking about lines of linux code.

Kitz E Kat 22:27 08 Sep 03

OK... SO Gandalf, if that's your real name!!!! You might be a wizzard and all that, but /no../ you /can/root // have .. / a windows/forum..
OK :-)

There are indeed plenty of Linux Forums and indeed plenty of Windows forums, i like this forum cos it is the way it is , and that is it......a nice mix of everything.

Check my post above there are links to everything Linux..posted by the good users of this site..

Happy Kat,cos im off for a pint, milk of course!!

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:31 08 Sep 03

There was an element of seriousness in the post......click here the thread that I have just posted..'Are Linux users bereft of humour'. ;-))))

G

VoG II 22:43 08 Sep 03

Not many!

You won't get a Linux forum here for reasons that have been fully explained in your previous thread.

I might like an Excel section - well I can't have one for obvious reasons so if in need a quick fix I hop off to mrexcel.com.

If you are bored, go and write an open source operating system.

LastChip 22:46 08 Sep 03

It's still a very steep learning curve, and with limited time to devote to the subject, it is taking a while to get used to even the basics.

The Helproom seems to lack Linux expertise, but I suspect it is for the reason touched on above. Linux users tend to migrate to Linux forums and this is predominately, a Windows based Helproom.

However, if you note the title of PC Advisor, it says; "Expert Advice In Plain English", (NOT Windows Advice), and therefore it is reasonable to assume all flavors of operating system are welcome!

Some of us would argue, that Linux IS the future, so who knows, maybe in time, we will see a rather different Helproom, to that which we are all used to now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…