How many emails are sent every day

Murray 23:13 05 Jun 03

I'm researching for an essay and was just wondering how many emails were sent every day. I know PCA did an article a few weeks ago saying that around 1/2 of all emails were junk, but they didnt really say how many.

I know it is a difficult quesiton as there are soooooo many ISPs, email providers etc, but someone must have made a semi-accurate guess...

I would guess in the order of 100's of millions per day given that there are roughly 200 million people connected to the internet (according to click here)

any thoughts/guesses?

jazzypop 23:16 05 Jun 03

Over 31 Billion daily, according to click here$449 (in 2002) - 60 billion by 2006?

Murray 23:19 05 Jun 03

WOW. shows how wrong an estimate can be

I'm not sure if I trust the number from Hobbes timeline of 200million users. does anyone know of a good stats site which would give info like that

jazzypop 23:21 05 Jun 03

OK, the link got mangled by PCA. Either add $449 to the above link, or click here

jazzypop 23:26 05 Jun 03
  Murray 23:30 05 Jun 03

ok cheers

out of interest, when you see 31 billion do you think
31 x 1,000 million

or

31 x 1 million million

I'm getting very confused as one used to be the british billion, and the other the US billion, but they seem to be slowly swapping over - very silly.

jazzypop 23:40 05 Jun 03

The prediction about email volumes came from IDC, a subsidiary of IDG. IDG are a US-based company, so I would assume that they use the 1,000,000,000 definition of a billion.

This roughly equates to each person sending 50 emails a day at the moment (31,000,000,000 / 619,000,000).

Forum Editor 00:06 06 Jun 03

total email traffic is that even the most informed of statisticians can only take a stab at the number of emails that are sent via corporate LANs and WANs. This figure alone must reach staggering proportions if my personal experience of the volumes going over my clients' networks is anything to go by.

Even so, 31 billion is a huge figure by any standards, and it's obvious that people are communicating as never before. What they are communicating about is another matter altogether, and of course a large part of the total is made up of spam messages.

Email has made better communicators of us all in my opinion, and many people who wouldn't dream of writing a conventional letter to a friend or relative are quite happy to tap out a quick email. It's the speed with which the thought can be followed by the action that makes email such a useful tool. Something can pop into my head now, and a minute or so later my thoughts are on a computer that's on the other side of the planet.

I've got clients in Hong Kong, and one day we timed an email from my London office to a desktop in a client's Hong Kong offices. It took around eight seconds to do the 5980 mile distance. The ability to communicate with that kind of speed is invaluable, and when you think of the millions of other messages that are flitting around the world at the same time you realise what an amazing technology email really is.

Murray 00:29 06 Jun 03

cheers

interesting article about volume of junk email

click here

although when I think of all those 'suspicious' offers flodding into my hotmail inbox every morning it doesnt surprise me

someone must have thought of an efficient way of blocking mass emails... how about not allowing emails to more than a certain number of people if they all have similar addresses.

graham√ 09:00 06 Jun 03

An interesting statistic on a program on TV last night - nearly half the worlds population have never made a phone call!

FE, when you timed the Email did you allow for delays on the phone call?

Andsome 09:02 06 Jun 03

I would seriously say that SEVERAL e-mails are sent every day.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…