how many dvd s will fit on the blank dvd!?

collinsc 17:33 03 Jan 08

i have a verbatim DVD-RW 4.7 GB 120 MIN 4X Certified CD.

How many dvds can i copy on to this from my collection? just 120minutes worth?

i have an acer aspire laptop- i have been told previously that i can burn to both sides of the DVD... is that right!?!

Pamy 17:46 03 Jan 08

Single layer DVD = 4.7GB
Dual layer DVD = 8.7GB
Burnt to one side only
Assume collection DVD's each one full, then only one DVD per disk on single layer
i have been told previously that i can burn to both sides of the DVD... is that right!?!..Wrong

eedcam 17:48 03 Jan 08

First you cant burn to both sides. You can only put about 4.3 G/byte onto a 4.7 disc but forget that as a general rule standard quality is 120 minutes. You can put much more but at aloss of quality .What format and source are the files you intend to put on dvd and what software are you going to use .

collinsc 18:28 03 Jan 08

thanks for the info.

why 4.3 out of 4.7 ? is the rest meta-data?

format...? um just copying a DVD i bought!
software: NTI CD & DVD Maker 7 (free with laptop)

LABMAN 19:16 03 Jan 08

Hi collinsc,

Fistly the majority of commercial dvd's are copy protected and you can't just simply copy it to a blank dvd, there are ways and means around it usung software that is freely available on the internet, but unfortyntely this is neither the time or place to discuss it.

collinsc 19:29 03 Jan 08

labman- ok thanks - why is this not the place or time? if you are busy- fair enough.

eedcam- why 4.3 out of 4.7 ? is the rest meta-data?

format...? um just copying a DVD i bought!
software: NTI CD & DVD Maker 7 (free with laptop)

eedcam 19:31 03 Jan 08

Collin That was an approx. figure its irrevelant as most software will compress to suit .If you are talking of commercials they are all around 6 or 7 G/byte in size .
You'll find plenty of info here wher they openly discuss it
click here
Or PM me if you like

Pamy 21:29 03 Jan 08

"labman- ok thanks - why is this not the place or time? if you are busy- fair enough."
Because if they are commercial DVD's (films etc.) what you want to do is ileagal and this forum cannot help you in this matter.

collinsc 21:32 03 Jan 08

yes- but its fine to make back ups of your own dvds... no? or no.? lol

Pamy 21:39 03 Jan 08

Yes

eedcam 22:58 03 Jan 08

Pamy I agree with you regards back up but alas it is illegal at least in the Uk other countries have a better Fair users policy.What I dont like is the Morality police who condemn without even knowing whether the poster is in the UK or not .If they dont want to help they are perfectly entitled so not to do.I cant see the point of coming in and crying No No . I agree perhaps it should not be discussed in detail on this forum but as the information is freely available on the web think it perfectly ok to assist the request.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…