How Many Do This

woodchip 20:01 21 Jan 05

After going to a friend house for a meal. I said ware is your play room, i.e. (computer room) So get's to play room, he is running Win98se with McAfee AV after he say's that Norton let him down. Right how's about this the computer had not had it's temps folder cleared for six years, Cookie same length of time and he is on B/B. Computer just works like a tortoise in Hibernation. After clearing the above files reduced from about 135.000 to 22.000. Left him as it was going on Midnight, I also removed some Adware, etc but still in a mess. And need to go and do major surgery.

JonnyTub 20:06 21 Jan 05

my dad's is the same only a seriously high spec machine, bogged down by crap, i pay him a weekly "computer" visit and low and behold it's jam packed with the same old, same old. He say's he does all the usual, at least he did till i told him i could find out when and if he even scanned, updated and ran, etc. Methinks he likes the visits and that suits me fine, plus it's nice to resurrect a power pc back into life, sort of gratifying to take her out on the open road so to speak.

GaT7 20:32 21 Jan 05

Recently, had similar problems with a friend's Win98 PII PC I recently repaired (you kind people helped me with a case switch click here).

Nothing was done for 4 years, though he had AV+firewall protection, but no antispyware - so had to clear out a lot of rubbish. Also, deleted many files/folders/registry entries of programs that were 'uninstalled' + Temp files. One spyware 'Internet accelerator' was alone taking up 500Mb! Managed to recover almost 2Gb of disk space - may not sound a lot, but he was using a 6Gb hard drive with 0.5Gb remaining. I installed all the necessary programs & gave him a 'To Do' list. G

woodchip 20:41 21 Jan 05

They are so familiar.

woodchip 20:44 21 Jan 05

That is the difference between a Driver and a grease monkey

stalion 20:44 21 Jan 05

far to many as you and many members on here already know.Many of the problems on here are caused by clogged up registries in particular or no anti-virus or spyware protection or no defrag for months and all this can slow your comp down or cause it to freeze.I am amazed the computer you worked on was still running

PA28 20:46 21 Jan 05

Lots more than we think I fear. I have known people that have got to this state and then bought a new computer because they think the old one has worn out. Or they simply give up and cobwebs gather in the case. It's frightening that since computers have hit mainstream domestic appliance status I still don't think that the majority realise that they're a bit different from your average electric kettle in terms of maintenance. No wonder the likes of PCW still shift large boxes in even larger quantities.

woodchip 20:53 21 Jan 05

He uses IE and OE and more pop-ups that programs. Trying to get him on to Netscape so it can be controlled. I got him to download Spybot and Ad-Aware he was amazed at what they did.

woodchip 20:55 21 Jan 05

When running IE, spyware etc cannot be removed fast enough. It runs faster than me.

stalion 21:04 21 Jan 05

so it's running at 3 miles an hour lol

woodchip 21:13 21 Jan 05

Yes backwards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…