how many?

Phil-UK 13:12 13 Aug 08

I am moving into a house with 5 of my student friends the start of October, we will be there for 9 months, the plan was to get my AOL broadband moved to the house, this is free of charge and takes 20 working days.

i was wondering how many people could use this wireless at the same time in the house, its a netgear router and has 4 ports so i was thinking atleast 4 people could use this at the same time?

if that is the case then is 4 the max or could all 6 use it at the same time?

am not saying we would but i would like to know the limitations and any other detail i might have to take into consideration

Thanks

ambra4 15:04 13 Aug 08

Wireless network would allow a max of 64 wireless devices to be connected plus the hard wire

ports with a 24 port switch connected to each router port will allow 96 hard wire devices

So in fact you can have 160 devices connected and using the Internet at the same time, the speed of

the access will all depends on the amount of users trying to access the internet at the same time, and

also the speed of the broadband line

brundle 15:11 13 Aug 08

As far as I'm aware the only limit is the processing power of the router and the IP addressing/subnet mask setup. In theory, with the usual Class C address you could connect a total of 253 machines (wired and wireless) but a home router isn't really designed for that kind of thing....
As ambra says, your broadband bandwidth will be be shared between each user too.

It should cope OK with 6 as long as people don't leave filesharing programs running all day.

Phil-UK 16:19 13 Aug 08

great thanks for your help
my connection is up to 8mb and we will be using a Netgear router they supplied, but coz the house is tall with 6 bedrooms I might buy a new router so the strength of he signal can get up to the highest room in the house

Thanks again for the info :)

ambra4 16:35 13 Aug 08

“I might buy a new router so the strength of he signal can get up to the highest room in the house”

Instead of getting a new router look at a these options

If your router antenna can be removed look at replacing with a hi gain antenna plus a Hi-Gain™

Wireless-G Range Extender in areas with a low wireless signal

Hi-Gain™ 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking HWUR54G Hi-Gain Wireless-G Range Extender

click here

Phil-UK 17:03 13 Aug 08

thanks for the link and advice, I will definitely look at these options if we do have any range problems.

FatboySlim71 23:23 17 Aug 08

AOL is a 18 month contract, so you would not be able to cancel after the 9 month period you mention. If you click on the below link and look at the small print at the bottom of the page you will see this.

click here

It would be a better idea to choose a ISP who had monthly contracts (there is a lot of these around) and also IMO there are a lot of ISP's much better than AOL.

Have a look at these ratings.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5