How to manage NiMH Batteries

uncle eric 21:35 28 Sep 04

Now I've got some NiMH batteries what is the best way to use them to get optimum life ?

Should I try to cycle them from fully charged state to completely flat.

maybe they be kept fully charged when not in use.

Any tips welcomed.

UE.

Strawballs 21:47 28 Sep 04

These battery's are not like NiCad which have to be flattened totally everytime but it is advisable to flatten them occationally.

shizzy 21:56 28 Sep 04

My Nikon camera instructions advises to flatten completely for the first three charges.

TomJerry 22:02 28 Sep 04

This is limitation for NiMH, but not for Li-Ion which used in modern laptops.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:19 28 Sep 04
  john-232317 22:32 28 Sep 04

Link from sattman in another post....

click here

hssutton 22:43 28 Sep 04

NiMH are self discharging so always charge before use.

I have been using this type of battery for three years, in the most power hungry of cameras,the Minolta D7. during this time I have never discharged the batteries before recharge. I have taken well over 25,000 photos during this time and I am still using my original four sets of batteries. They do not suffer from the memory effect, so don't waste your time discharging them.

The batteries and chargers I use are Ansmann & Maha, maybe a little expensive but well worth the extra.

hssutton 22:46 28 Sep 04

Shizzy does have a point, It usually takes several cycles for these batteries to become "conditioned" achieve full efficiency

john-232317 20:33 01 Oct 04

So after two threads and two ticks.......

HAS IT BEEN HELPFUL ?????????????

uncle eric 07:35 04 Oct 04

Hi everyone,

Yes very helpful. Bought some batteries & a charger & now know how to get best use from them.

Thanks for all the responses.
ue

Stuartli 09:27 04 Oct 04

The great advantage of Ni-MH batteries, apart from higher capacity, is that they don't have a "memory" in the same way as Ni-Cads and can be "topped up" as necessary.

Even so, as rightly pointed out, it's best to occasionally let them run virtually flat and then fully recharge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…