how to manage hard drive space

robert01 11:25 31 Oct 10

I have an Acer laptop which is running slow as the 30GB C drive is nearly full, I have just noticed that the space allocated for 'Acer Data' and called 'D' is a whopping 9GB with barely 2GB in use.

How can I adjust this and allocate some of this space to C.

I expect the answer lies in the BIOS - but need advice before I dabble there.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:36 31 Oct 10

From Acer

Solution
The extra hard disk partition called Acer Data is included on the factory-loaded software to provide a method to restore the notebook to factory configurations. This method is called D2D Recovery and provides a different method to recovery your system if the Recovery or System CDs are not available.

The partition can be removed by using the System and Recovery CDs. However please note that if you choose to remove the partition, there is no way to restore the removed partition.

robert01 11:56 31 Oct 10

Ok thanks - but rather than remove it is there any way to reduce the amount of space allocated.

It seems odd that nearly a third of the total drive is put aside for this.

GaT7 12:07 31 Oct 10

Move some of C's data to D. Move only what you created [your data only: such as photos, music, videos, etc in Documents and Settings/your profile(s)], while leaving everything else on C, like the contents of the Windows & Program Files directories.

Then create shortcuts of your data folders in D, placing them on your Desktop or Quick Launch menu for quick & easy access.

I maintain a very slim C drive, while most (if not all) my data are on other partitions. G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:13 31 Oct 10

You might find it needs the extra space (9-2 =7G) to expand the image on D so it can do the restore so filling D with extra Data can cause a problem.

You may be better doing -

but an external drive to store your data on
or
Clone the drive to a larger one and replace the original and use that as extra external storage.

You could also try removing unwanted programs and use CCleaner click here to clera rubbish off the C drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…