How to make a program run at startup?

stlucia 08:22 13 Apr 09

I know how to delete programs from the startup menu, either using CC or msconfig. But I can't find how to add a program to run at startup. I did find one thread about it when I searched here, but it keeps referring to a "Startup" folder. I've found several "Startup" folders in different paths under C:\Documents and settings\... but I can't find any which look like it actually contains the programs which run at startup.

So, please, how do I add a program, which is currently installed on my PC, to my startup group? I'm running Windows XP with all updates.

cocteau48 08:33 13 Apr 09

A very simple way to add/remove and/or disable start up programs is to use Winpatrol click here
....and this is only one small aspect of this little gem of a multifunction program.

rawprawn 08:50 13 Apr 09

See if this is what you mean, go to Start> All Programs and scroll down to the "Startup Folder" Drag the Icon of the program you wish to start to the Startup Folder. For EG if you want MS Outlook to start automatically drag it's icon to the folder and reboot.

stlucia 10:44 13 Apr 09

rawprawn, when I click Start > Programs I see all my programs listed, plus a folder named "Startup". But it shows as "Empty" even though I've got half a dozen programs starting when I boot my PC. When I try to drag-and-drop the .exe file I want into the Startup folder, it won't go, but just moves itself up in the listing to the place just above the folder.

Anyway, problem solved. I've used WinPatrol as suggested by cocteau48, and it's done the job.

Thanks to both of you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac