How to make a new network ?

Migwell 00:37 02 Mar 09

I have a Desktop computer using XP Home with Internet on a wireless conection and two printers attached to it, one is a Brother HL 2030 and the other is a HP Photosmart D7360. I also have a Laptop running Vista Home Premium and also on the same wireless internet connection through the Linksys WAG54GS router.

How do I setup a full network so I may use the printers attached on the Desktop computer, from the Laptop or be able to see and work on files including photographs held on the Desktop. while I am working on the Laptop.

I have tried on a couple of occassions to set this up without any success, I just feel lost with it all.

Thanks to anyone who may offer any help.

ambra4 01:23 02 Mar 09
  Migwell 00:45 03 Mar 09

Still not working.

mgmcc 08:11 03 Mar 09

Set any folders in the XP PC that you want to have available over the network as "Shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option. Similarly, set the Printers as "Shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing option.

Make sure both computers are in the *SAME* Workgroup (XP Home's default is MSHOME and Vista's default is WORKGROUP, so one needs to be changed so they match).

Any firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers.

In Vista, go into "Control Panel > Network & Sharing Center" and ensure you've ticked:
- Network Discovery
- File Sharing
- Public Folder Sharing
(You only need to enable Printer Sharing if the shared printer is attached to the "Vista" PC.)

For instructions for installing a "Network Printer" in Vista click here

dawood 06:39 07 Mar 09

Make sure you can ping desktop computer from laptop, and there is no firewall blocking on desktop computer (antivirus firewall, Windows firewall, etc), after that enable file sharing click here and printer sharing click here on desktop computer (XP home). Finally test to access from laptop.

Migwell 17:33 08 Mar 09

Thanks for that, but will have to let it lie a few days as I am going away. I will give it a try when I get back.
Thanks for now
Migwell

emily3543 05:54 18 Mar 09

you can share your drive and access them remotely.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5