How to make folders/drives private

j3nks 20:40 30 Aug 05

I have a simple network (ie no demain) and want to share files between some of the PC's but not all. All I can seem to do is allow all to see or no one to share are there any solutions to this?
If not what are the issues of setting up a network using a domain?
Ian

Strawballs 21:35 30 Aug 05

Right click on the file, folder or drive and go to sharing and security

j3nks 18:59 31 Aug 05

Sorry not that simple I can share the folder with all or no one by doing that but what I want to do is select who I share it with and what they can see. I dont think I can do that on a work group, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Strawballs 21:32 31 Aug 05

Don't know if there is anything here that can help click here

Taran 23:27 02 Sep 05

You need to have all computers set up with NTFS drives and not FAT32, and you need to have them running Windows XP Professional.

Disable "Use simple file sharing" in Windows Explorer >> Tools >> Folder Options >> View (scroll down to last option in list).

Once this is done, you can right click on a folder and choose from a series of options for sharing it, including specific machines/users/ and whether nor not a password/username is required to access the folder contents.

Note: I've not worked with Windows XP Home for some time now but I'm almost certain that the above option is not available in that operating system.

Setting up a network domain is not something to be taking on lightly, and certainly not something for file sharing between a couple of computers. If sensitive data is on only one PC then upgrade its OS to Windows XP Pro to enable restricted directory access over the network, thus protecting the sensitive data.

If both machines require a degree of privacy, either upgrade both OS's or use a third party software solution like the excellent Folder Guard click here which is both inexpensive and effective.

Finally, unless you enable a shared directory on each computer, its files remain hidden from other network users anyway. This is a general statement since someone with the right knowledge can bypass the simple default security on a system given sufficient time, but for general use you have to enable a shared directory for that computers files to be visible to other network users. No shared directory means that machine cannot be accessed under normal circumstances, so its contents remain private by default.

Windows XP Home and Pro both have a default shared directory called Shared Documents for each user profile. That is the only folder that other network users will be able to see under normal circumstances.

You need to make sure that network users save to the correct location to allow their files to be accessed as well.

T

Taran 23:32 02 Sep 05

"You need to have all computers set up with NTFS drives and not FAT32, and you need to have them running Windows XP Professional."

Poor statement that one.

It should have read that you'd need Win XP Pro to take advantage of the method outlined above of file sharing, but you should keep in mind my closing notes about the default shared directory in Win XP Home and Pro.

FAT32 is potentially less secure (and arguably less stable) than NTFS, but don't feel that you have to start charging on in converting drives from FAT to NTFS and whatnot.

Have a play with shared directories on each machine. It's pretty easy once you establish a logical system and explain it to all network users.

j3nks 23:52 02 Sep 05

Just what I needed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…