How to make External Hard Disk

jigz 09:32 16 Dec 05

I am looking for an external hard disk for backup and music storage. I need around 60-80 gig space.

Could someone help me with making external hard disk? I have looked for some external cases but which hard drive do i need to buy so that they both work together?

Stuartli 09:49 16 Dec 05

You can't "make" an external hard disk.

Do you mean the type that will slot and out of your system case?

If so you probably mean something on these lines:

click here=

click here

johnnyrocker 09:50 16 Dec 05

click here i got an external case usb fitting just put a spare drive i had and away it went.

jigz 09:54 16 Dec 05

I mean buy a sperate case and buy a hard disk which can be put together to make an external hard disk.
There are so many different disks and I am not sure which one to buy which would work with a normal external case.

PaulB2005 09:57 16 Dec 05

Make sure you match the type and size.

You'll want a 3.5 inch disk with an IDE / E-IDE / ATA interface (not SCSI or SATA). The caddy will have the same spec.

ANy disk at click here "IDE Hard Drives"

with the 3rd or 4th one down at click here work together. "High speed external enclosure USB 2.0 interface for 3.5" IDE device"

jigz 10:08 16 Dec 05

which one would you recomment? Would 2mb buffer be alright or too slow?

PaulB2005 10:14 16 Dec 05

Any disk will do. Buffers etc only really mater if you want to use this disk "live" (i.e. run programs from it or access data all the time). If you are using for backup go for capacity over buffers.

jigz 10:17 16 Dec 05

Say if I bought this click here

click here

Do you think this will work together?

PaulB2005 10:19 16 Dec 05

Yes - they will work together. Both are 3.5 and both are IDE.

jigz 10:21 16 Dec 05

Almost done. dont need to buy any cables or anything. Do I?

PaulB2005 10:22 16 Dec 05

USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 cable included
External Power supply - included

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…