how to make a copy of XP installation discs?

rickf 11:06 05 May 07

Hi,
I recently bought a 2nd hand laptop with wins xp preinstalled but no discs. I am upgrading to a bigger hard drive and will lose wins xp OS. How do I make a copy so I can reinstalled from the discs once upgraded. The preinstalled OS is legit. Thanks

rickf 11:20 05 May 07

bump!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:32 05 May 07

suggest you copy the drive with Acronis TI click here

bjh 11:53 05 May 07

Many hard disks are also able to use software from the manufacturer to clone the old drive onto the new one. You'll have to download s/w from manufacturers website, but if you don't have Acronis, this is a free way. Seagate/Maxtor and Hitachi certainly supply this.

Acronis is superb, and worth having in the long run anyway.

rickf 12:44 05 May 07

Hi,
Thanks for replies to date. I take it that this will back up all files/ applications including the XP OS and what I have to do is to use this to boot up the new drive. Sorry about the ignorance but this will be my 1st time. Thanks

bjh 08:42 06 May 07

When you've done it, and turn the PC on, everything will be identical to what it was before. Icons will be in the same place, folders will have the same contents, all software will be exactly as it was in the old HDD. Indeed, the only difference you'll notice is that, when you ask "My Computer" the size of the disk, it'll be bigger.

Effectively, every single binary "1" and every single binary "0" is transferred, in order, onto the new machine.

You can get a 15 day trial of Acronis at their website - if you don't run it until you are ready, that'll be sufficient for your task.

click here

It is an excellent program, and well worth buying if you are feeling flush.
If you aren't, then keep your eyes peeled, as it is often found on various magazine freebie coverdisks (as are other cloning tools such as from Paragon, works, but not as good in my opinion)

FatboySlim71 08:58 06 May 07

Another vote for Acronis, Acronis is an excellent program, its well worth the £25 or so, its definately worth having in the long run as it will allow you to take regular back ups of your pc.

I have used it for a while and it has saved me doing a complete full install of my operating system and all my programs a few times. I think that every pc/laptop should be provided with Acronis, I find its a program that I couldnt do without now.

rickf 09:44 06 May 07

Thanks all. Very reassuring. Will do.

Strawballs 09:49 06 May 07

I would second that FatboySlim71 the best £23 I have spent in a long time.

Pita BT 01:36 07 May 07

When cloning using Acronis, does Acronis discriminate against new hard drives of a different capacity than the original one holding the O/S?

im just about to buy it after reading all the positive replies on a number of different threads

you can get it from
click here
for £18.79 inc vat,and im planning to take the purchase over £30 to save a tenner,so in effect paying only £8.79(its funny how i manage to justify these things) ;-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac