How to make the best use of Avast free anti-virus

BingoBoy 22:40 20 Apr 15

I have just removed McAfee from my laptop and installed Avast free version of anti-virus software. Can anybody suggest how to set it up to get the best performance from my laptop and remain well protected?

robin_x 23:59 20 Apr 15

I have the voice turned off and email checking (because it was adding footers and I can scan attachments manually) and the site/safe surfing because I prefer mywot.com.

robin_x 00:01 21 Apr 15

I always have Windows file extensions shown. So it's easy to see if a file is trying to disguise its identity.

BingoBoy 08:32 21 Apr 15

Robin

Thanks for the tips but could you perhaps be a bit more specific as to what I have to change along the lines of a Dummies Guide to setting controls..

Thanks

Gordon Freeman 08:33 21 Apr 15

I've set it so it doesn't scan outgoing email as it prevented me from actually sending email. Also turned off the site/safe surfing thing, it's a nuisance. Also make sure it hasn't installed chrome on your machine, unless you want it of course. Reduce the various notification times in settings. Cancel the program updates (not for avast itself but for other prgrams on your machine) as again this becomes a nuisance. Turn off voice notifications.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant