how long will 600k be fast for?

dfghjkl 22:44 14 Feb 04

with 2,3 and 4 meg broadband happening will we soon get to the point where 600k is not going to be enough,i have 150k and now realise that it is not fast enough for some things on the net,they state that i need i minimum of 600 k. 3 years ago 150 would have been fast enough.so is it like games.make a game but only allow it to play fully with a £150-£250 graphics card?a year before the card would play all games.there is no real point to this thread,only an observation.i must be bored.plus i am still trying to justify the move to 600 k when i told the missus that 150 was the more than enough speed.(well it was,wasnt it?).peter.

VoG II 00:11 15 Feb 04

It's called progress, isn't it?

Anyway I'm sure that the Government will eventually dream up a way of taxing fast connections or imposing a speed limit.

powerless 00:22 15 Feb 04

With a 512, 600, 1MB or 2MB downlaoding of files is DEAD easy.

Very fast connections 3, 4, 5 MB connections well we would need for LIVE TV of some quality here or there!

If there is a definitive MP3 website where its all legal you could choose your flavour and download whilst your out. If or maybe when you can download a film in this country you'll want a VERY fast connection.

To me viewing a webpage has not chnaged "that much" for the last years or so. Flash etc has played a nice part but for now the connecion we have are just about right for our needs. Any faster your either VERY stupid enough to pay for it or your doing something naughty IMO.

When content arrives that warrants a faster connection BT (boo hoo hooo) will "probably" upgrade to except and take your money.

NOW? There aint nothing that a current connection cannot handle.

Megatyte 00:50 15 Feb 04

I can just imagine it. Speed humps and cameras on the Digital Highway.

;o)

AH

josie mayhem 01:19 15 Feb 04

But don't we all end up lying, I keep telling my husband that this is the last bit of kit/up-grade I need for my computer.

And guess what, I need more ram, well I did win a digicam in a competion and I added a firewire card and cable, and well 256mb's of ram means that it struggles with rendering, even though I have a large spare drive and if I had a graphics tablet I find all that photo editing a lot easier........

And even though I've got a nice P4 2g processor, I get my video editing done a lot quicker with a much Faster P4, and my mobo is at its limit so I would have to replace that has well......

And humptine other items/software that I could do with, which I said I didn't need six months ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I always say, I'd told the truth with the information I had at the time, so can you really call it a lie?

But seriously, the net might get faster, but the price will increase so I think that 600k will seem fast for a lot longer.

Bandy 02:09 15 Feb 04

In my area I suspect that 600k will be fast for quite a long while - assuming we'll get it one day

Stuartli 09:00 15 Feb 04

I read "And humptine other items/software that I could do with" as humptime at first rather than umpteen....:-)

Legolas 10:43 15 Feb 04

dfghjkl I agree with the graphic card point I had a GFORCE 2 400MX graphics card good enough for any game I had or have bought recently until I bought Prince of Persia Sands of Time and I realised I needed a Gforce 3 or higher or a radeon 8200 or higher so I upgraded as I reckoned that more and more games will need this upgrade.

slimbo51 12:09 15 Feb 04

I wonder how they are going to put speed camera's
on the superhighway. (£60.00 for exceeding bandwidth and forced to use windows op/sys for another year).

AubreyS 12:14 15 Feb 04

Maybe the government will tax people who get free help on internet forum sites!

dfghjkl 17:50 15 Feb 04

thanks chaps.peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…