How long a usb cable is practicable ?

greybeard 19:56 13 Feb 06

I want to set up a web cam in the garden to monitor a bird nest. What are the limits for a long usb cable ?
If I provide a power supply at the cam end will this greatly improve matters, or do I also need some signal amplification as well ? I'm thinking of about 10 -20 metres.
If so, how, and what sort of kit do I need to do it on a limited budget ?

John

woodchip 20:00 13 Feb 06

I would think it will work at that, But only in one length no joints

Totally-braindead 20:02 13 Feb 06

There is a limit but I'm not sure how long it is, someone else will I'm sure answer this, have you considered a stand alone camera, I've seen them being sold by the likes of Woolworths for as little as £30 for a black and white one, I did see a colour one as well which I think was £50 and some of them are wireless as well.

Totally-braindead 20:04 13 Feb 06

Found this on the web " Note:the maximum length for USB cables is 5 meters (16.4 feet), Unless you use an "active" repeater cable. "

greybeard 20:17 13 Feb 06

woodchip - thanks, most encouraging.
T-b - I've already got a cheap (sacrificial ?)webcam of ebay for £6. Can you post a link to that cable info ?
Many thanks.
John

Totally-braindead 20:21 13 Feb 06

If you just go to google.co.uk and search for usb cable + maximum length you will find lots. Such as these click here=

greybeard 20:30 13 Feb 06

Not so braindead,after all (;)
Many thanks.
john

€dstowe 20:33 13 Feb 06

A busybody neighbour has a webcam type camera directed on the village pond to keep his eye on what he thinks of as undesirables - the youngsters of the village. He has a 25 metre cable connecting it to his computer at his home. It works OK. He lashed up the cable himself by cutting an ordinary USB cable into two, soldering a length of multi-way screened cable between the cut ends and wrapping the joints in insulation tape.

Totally-braindead 20:41 13 Feb 06

Sorry, it seems you have 2 choices, either set it up with your webcam and the repeater thing they mention, you would have to price it obviously, or the other suggestion I posted earlier of a outside camera available from the likes of Woolys and I've seen them at B&Q and the like as well.
click here

Totally-braindead 20:43 13 Feb 06

Well perhaps I'm wrong after all, I'm only going by what I found on the net. You could always try it greybeard presumming you have the cables lying about.

greybeard 21:01 13 Feb 06

edstowe - thanks - worth bearing in mind to try as I do have some similar cable somewhere.
T-b - thanks again.
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced