How long to uninstall AOL? (ongoing!)

polymath 21:35 18 May 08

My new Vista Home Premium desktop has preinstalled AOL, which I don't want (even assuming I can avail of it here in Ireland). I've started uninstalling it (via Control Panel-Programs & Features).
I didn't make a note of the starting time, but it feels like at least a couple of hours, and Vista's still doing it. Does it usually take this long?

It's AOL 9. Vista's uninstall box is showing 2 applications; 'AOL Connectivity Service' ('last used' date before I bought the computer); and 'AOL', correctly listed as never used, as I'm trying to get it out of the way before using the new computer for the internet.

I need to turn the computer off soon (that's uninstalling AOL) - is there a way to shut down before the uninstall's finished, without messing anything up?

Hope it's the right forum - I don't know if it's an AOL problem, a Vista problem, or human error (mine) problem!

polymath 21:54 18 May 08

It's AOL 9.5, to be more precise.

A little window, titled AOL Uninstaller', has just popped up behind the 'Please wait while uninstalling' box. It tells me 'The search has already been run. Please restart the AOL Uninstaller if you wish to search for older AOL versions again'.
I wish nothing of the sort, never wished it, and have no idea why Vista thinks I did. I can't find a way to close that box, but as the progress bar's still doing its left-to-right animation in the 'Please wait...' box, it doesn't seem to have halted the proceedings.
Perhaps I should have put 'SOS' in the title!

polymath 21:55 18 May 08

It's AOL 9.5, to be more precise.

A little window, titled AOL Uninstaller', has just popped up behind the 'Please wait while uninstalling' box. It tells me 'The search has already been run. Please restart the AOL Uninstaller if you wish to search for older AOL versions again'.
I wish nothing of the sort, never wished it, and have no idea why Vista thinks I did. I can't find a way to close that box, but as the progress bar's still doing its left-to-right animation in the 'Please wait...' box, it doesn't seem to have halted the proceedings.

It looks as if I'll just have to press 'Cancel' soon, and hope for the best.
Perhaps I should have put 'SOS' in the title!

polymath 21:57 18 May 08

Apologies for the double posting (thought I'd stopped it the first time).

MAT ALAN 21:59 18 May 08

If its new i assume there is not much on it prog or personal, file wise...

Why not format and reinstall your O/S you will be rid of everything you do not want...

polymath 22:56 18 May 08

Thanks Mat. It's quite right that I have no data to lose (and very few settings).

The preinstalled software might be more problematic, though. Firefox won't open anyway for some reason(and I have it on a PC Advisor disk). But I'd lose 6 months of good security software, and even if the other programs I want are free I'd rather not have to download them (not at 9 to 12 kilobytes per second!).

(a minute or 2 later)
Tried the Cancel button in the uninstaller, but it wouldn't work; Control-Alt-Delete time. The Close Program box said the uninstaller was waiting for a response from me (?). When I insisted on ending the program (against Vista's better judgement), I got a box saying 'AOL has been successfully uninstalled' (?).
(Now it tells me!)

I still don't know if the uninstall took a minute or 3 hours but, as I have no plans to acquire AOL, it's resolved for me.

Thanks for responding so quickly, Mat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…