How long should a PDA battery last?

ricvic 16:59 30 Dec 03

I bought my Packardbell PDA in May 2002. Six months later I had a new battery under warranty. The replacement battery has lasted a little over 12 months and is clearly at the end of its life. Needless to say, this item is not now covered by any warranty. What is the experience of others?

Diemmess 17:29 30 Dec 03

If the battery you mean is the button type clipped onto the motherboard then I would have thought at least 2 years life. There is almost no drain on the battery it simply maintains a set voltage in the sensitive guts of the thing. The battery doesn't actually drive anything.

If I am talking about the right thing, you should be able to pick up a replacement almost anywhere from computer shops or even a local jeweler who may use that type in his repairs. The only important thing is to be sure you buy the correct battery ( type and voltage useually engraved on the battery) and use gentle care to replace it on the mobo. Avoid handlig it or wear thin gloves.

ton 17:48 30 Dec 03

PDA = handheld & refresh

ricvic 18:08 30 Dec 03

Diemmess, thank you for your response. Sorry, I was not clear in my question: this is a handheld running pocket PC. The battery is recharged and used daily.

R

accord 18:25 30 Dec 03

if its a li-on battery it should last for ages as it doesnt create its own memory unlike the old Ni-cad. I have a Toshiba PDA and find its ok although i do keep it sat in its docking station most of the time. I should be running the battery down once a week or so to condition it.

The battery in my IBM laptop is a Ni-MH and its a nightmare. I have had the laptop for nearly two years and have just ordered my second battery for it. These DO need conditioning.

The Iceman 18:44 30 Dec 03

My Ipaq has just gone back after 2.5 years as it was hard resetting itself (under extended warranty).
They have said the Lithium Polymer battery has a life of 2 years and to protect itself it will hard reset the PDA!!!!!

I'm just waiting for it to come back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac